GTA Aquarium Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Pleco Hunter
512 Posts
I wanna slow clap to this... Alt, respect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
The GBR Guy
1,419 Posts
Most contests lately have been done thru me. I have brought on quite a few vendors and LFS's to help with the forums. Other forums charge upwards of $1800 per year for a sponsorship while we only charge $20 or a donation towards prizing. Most business's see this type of advertising as amazing since it's affordable and they can pinpoint their customers.

When the forums was owned and operated by the old owner we were allowed to run things the way we wanted...pretty much...since the owner had other interests. So the mods did it for free since the website was free anyways right?

Now that the website is owned by a company who is driven by making money off the website wouldn't it make sense to pay the mods? Since we are on here more than the owners or their employees and they are the ones making money off us right? I have asked if we would be compensated but haven't had a reply yet.

This would be like going to work and not getting paid...why do it?

I also feel that since I was the one that made these relationships with the vendors and business's it's only fair to ensure that aren't being used by a third party company that is only interested in making money. These are small business's that we all support locally and go in frequently to buy our products so we should keep supporting them without having these companies be hassled by the idea that they might have to pay more out of their pockets in the future.

I hope that the new owners don't sway towards charging the vendors like every other forum out there. This would only hurt the hobby more since that money has to come from somewhere right? The LFS pays $1000 for a sponsorship and they just hike up the prices or just go out of business.

A contest would just be counterproductive in this situation...

What the forum members were asking for was a place where they wouldn't have advertising and we came up with a solution to charge $20 per year so members would have that benefit. Now those members have been shafted...The same members we promised that there would be no advertising.

You can see I don't have too much trust in the old owner or the new one so this is why I shutdown the contest. Faith...
Okay, so what your saying is that now this company is making a few bucks off some ads and a google search button or two randomly on the site you want to get paid. And has the new owner stated that the sponsors have to pay a 1000$+ fee to be part of the contest or future sponsorship or participation in these contests?

"I hope that the new owners don't sway towards charging the vendors like every other forum out there." Obviously you dont know the future, or the verdict on this. If this was the case im sure the entire forum has a voice. Not just the company or they would get some bad rep and people would likely stand up for the vendors and the old ways the site was running. IF that happened.

"A contest would just be counterproductive in this situation..."
Guess what, you said in this situation. THIS is not the situation we are in currently. so proceed with every day life and stop assuming.

"This would be like going to work and not getting paid...why do it?"
Is it? I thought you did this moderating as a contribution to the members of this forum. and now you call it work and want $. You obviously arent seeing what your doing as fun or beneficial to the people, you just want a piece of the pie.

"What the forum members were asking for was a place where they wouldn't have advertising and we came up with a solution to charge $20 per year so members would have that benefit. Now those members have been shafted...The same members we promised that there would be no advertising." I am not sure if you have read what the new owner said. They would honor this agreement for members im assuming that already had done this.. Although it is unknown as for new members wanting this deal.

In the end of all this, I DO agree with what you say, BUT note that you are only speculating. And without proof your just scaring people. And making a rally against the new owners, and not guiding them to keeping this place hassle free and as always an awesome forum for its members.

·
9,104 Posts
Of course I feel its a huge shame to see the contest canceled but I do understand that its up to the person holding it.

Contests and BBQ's are all done on our own. Something that was independent of the GTAA

Alt, I can't speak for sure since I am not Holocron or VS but from what I read was that the sponsors would be honored with our agreement.

With all due respect I think you should talk with Holocron and VS and get more information on what's happening before posting it here on the public forum.

·
Administrator
489 Posts
All the premium members on the site should see no ads when logged in as it has always been. I added the premium membership status to all the staff accounts as well since this was not there before.

·
Not a mod!
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Will people be able to still access the membership level at $20 a year and if so how could they do that? Thanks

·
Banned
714 Posts
ALT Said:

Most contests lately have been done thru me. I have brought on quite a few vendors and LFS's to help with the forums. Other forums charge upwards of $1800 per year for a sponsorship while we only charge $20 or a donation towards prizing. Most business's see this type of advertising as amazing since it's affordable and they can pinpoint their customers.

I hope it stays at $20. It'll hurt local LFS, especially independants, if the price goes up.

When the forums was owned and operated by the old owner we were allowed to run things the way we wanted...pretty much...since the owner had other interests. So the mods did it for free since the website was free anyways right?

Right...

Now that the website is owned by a company who is driven by making money off the website wouldn't it make sense to pay the mods? Since we are on here more than the owners or their employees and they are the ones making money off us right? I have asked if we would be compensated but haven't had a reply yet.

Dude. Lame. You're a forum moderator. Moderators don't get paid. They do it for the admiration and appreciation of fellow forum members. You provide a service, and have a certain amount of power. We appreciate your service, and respect said power, and that's how the relationship works.

This would be like going to work and not getting paid...why do it?

No. You're discussing your hobby with other people. That's not work.

I also feel that since I was the one that made these relationships with the vendors and business's it's only fair to ensure that aren't being used by a third party company that is only interested in making money. These are small business's that we all support locally and go in frequently to buy our products so we should keep supporting them without having these companies be hassled by the idea that they might have to pay more out of their pockets in the future.

Agreed.

I hope that the new owners don't sway towards charging the vendors like every other forum out there. This would only hurt the hobby more since that money has to come from somewhere right? The LFS pays $1000 for a sponsorship and they just hike up the prices or just go out of business.

Agreed.

A contest would just be counterproductive in this situation...

That's lame. VS and Holocron both want you to proceed with the contest AFAIK. You just don't want to do it because you have a bee in your bonnet right now over the ownership change.

What the forum members were asking for was a place where they wouldn't have advertising and we came up with a solution to charge $20 per year so members would have that benefit. Now those members have been shafted...The same members we promised that there would be no advertising.

They have not been shafted. Their membership was honored and they see no ads right now.

You can see I don't have too much trust in the old owner or the new one so this is why I shutdown the contest. Faith...

I don't trust either of them too much atm either. We shall see.

·
Not a mod!
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
No bee in the bonnet. If VS or Matt would like to do a contest they are more than welcome to do it. They can go out and shake hands and make deals just like I did. I understand you think it's lame that there is no contest but I don't own the website right? All of the mods here know shop owners very well and the relationship is awesome. I encourage VS to do the same as the new owner

·
Banned
714 Posts
All of the mods here know shop owners very well and the relationship is awesome. I encourage VS to do the same as the new owner
Ya except you and I both know VS will NOT be doing that. They're a big company. This is but one measly grain of rice in their 30Kg rice sack. They aren't going to go meet with shopkeepers etc and establish relationships. That has to remain the responsibility of very helpful, well respected members, like you. I urge and encourage you to keep going with contests, and what ever else you were in charge of before. Please do not contribute to the degradation of GTAA. If you were happy to host contests with Holocron in charge, you ought to be happy to do it with VS in charge. JM2C.

·
Not a mod!
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I've been thinking the same thing actually...

I do understand that people still want this to happen and it still might.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Although the contest may have been cancelled, thank you altcharacter for stirring up change in this forum. I'm a relatively new member and I hope more events and contests continue down the road.:cool:

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
contest and bbq...

I have not spoken to dave about these.. these were dave inspired
He I know loves the comunity and is a giving guy...he did this for himself
And to inspire others....he is passionate about the hobbiee and the site.its up to the new admin to see this and step up to it if they choose to sit back and just advertise
Then so be it.....we are a tight knit c ommunity we all can communicate
With one another thru texts emails or phones...
Dave I hope u don't let the site contribute to the demise of your
Annual bbq...

·
9,104 Posts
VS can chime in I am sure...

as far as I know, we the mods, and the members can still run this ship as we want too.

Dave, I know you took in a lot of sponsors. But you know Holocron didn't want sponsorship. It was something we all brought on right? Maybe I am wrong? Holocron, never sent any of us out to head hunt for sponsors...

I will be honest, I don't know the store owners as well as you do. I don't do the walking and shaking hands. I stay here and hide and try to keep the place somewhat sorted. lol

Whatever you want to do in the future dave is your call, any mod and any member can hold whatever they want and use the forum. The shrimp guys did a lot on their own! They just used the forum as a notice board.

No mod has to do anything they don't want to do that isnt asked of you on the forum. It's not in the fine print that you -must- hold contests... It's just something we do because we like too, or at least I do.

I'll always try to be connected as much as I can and try to keep everything as normal as possible, but you can't make anyone do anything they do not want to do.

·
Administrator
489 Posts
I have offered help with the contest, it was turned down. If you feel its appropriate for us to work on a contest for the site I can.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Doing a contest can be done a couple different ways. The way it seems to have been done in the past is an entry fee which is used to buy the prizes and sometimes sponsors, local stores donate a prize.

Having a prize to win helps motivate people to do better and makes them willing to spend a little extra money on their tank.

Another way is no fee, no prizes and just do it, but less participation and less motivation to go the extra mile.

It requires someone to make up the rules and moderate it at the very least, or if going with prizes, needs someone with connections to possible sponsors, getting prizes, managing the money and stuff like that.

I did a nano contest on the local forum in my area, had a few entries, some never finished but we had fun, no fees, no sponsors, no prizes. There were some very interesting entries such as a sw tank made in a coffee maker and one fw in a peanut butter jar.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts