GTA Aquarium Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
I managed to shoot a few minutes of video of one my snails laying her eggs the other night. It's pretty neat, though not exactly wildly exciting to watch. Like a little conveyor belt, one after another. If you think your son would like to see it, I can likely manage to email it to you at some point. I also saw snails mating the other day, and have 3 clutches in a baggie now with a damp paper towel.. hoping for the best.
Incidentally, the earliest of my hatches, which were only a few snails, are now nearly a half inch in size.. and they can't be more than six weeks old, as best I can recall when they were born. So they are growing quite well.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
You hear about the oxylates blocking mineral absorption for humans too, but there's a lot of disagreement about it. Some say it does block absorption, no matter how you eat the spinach, others say say it only causes issues if you cook the spinach first. Snails sure seem to like spinach, though. Another green that has plenty of calcium is romaine lettuce.

·
Just a Shrimper
1,653 Posts
You hear about the oxylates blocking mineral absorption for humans too, but there's a lot of disagreement about it. Some say it does block absorption, no matter how you eat the spinach, others say say it only causes issues if you cook the spinach first. Snails sure seem to like spinach, though. Another green that has plenty of calcium is romaine lettuce.
Since we can't prove for sure I try to believe a theory that sounds good enough. I still feed my shrimps and snails spinach but I feed them other greens too. It doesn't hurt anyway. I'm also using cuttlebone to give them more calcium too. I find it work very well.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Cuttlebone like you buy for parrots ? Interesting.

Btw, if you really want to save money on veggies, and you have a source for dandelion leaves that are pesticide free and preferably have not been mowed down too often, they are a good source of calcium and many other vitamins and minerals too. And FREE !

I have read a lot on the business of oxylates in greens. Nobody seems to agree, but people have been eating them for centuries without much in the way of visible ill effects, so I just try to get variety, rather than stick to the same green day in day out.

·
Just a Shrimper
1,653 Posts
Cuttlebone like you buy for parrots ? Interesting.

Btw, if you really want to save money on veggies, and you have a source for dandelion leaves that are pesticide free and preferably have not been mowed down too often, they are a good source of calcium and many other vitamins and minerals too. And FREE !

I have read a lot on the business of oxylates in greens. Nobody seems to agree, but people have been eating them for centuries without much in the way of visible ill effects, so I just try to get variety, rather than stick to the same green day in day out.
Funny timing. I was just at a supermarket and found them sell organic dandelion, I never noticed that because I never spent much time on the vegetable section until I have shrimps ;-) Just to add to the bunch, mulberry leaves are highly praised by a lot of shrimp keepers too. But I think we're off topic here :)

PS: if you figure out how to send the video (the egg laying one, not the mating one ;-) to me and it's not too big, sure, my son would love it.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Didn't video the mating one.. it's not that, um, hot looking ?, anyway, just one snail riding on the back of another snail. If you didn't know what they were up to it looks completely benign.

But I'll see how big the vid file is of the egg laying and you can let me know how large a file your inbox can handle. It is interesting if not exactly fast action.

·
Just a Shrimper
1,653 Posts
Didn't video the mating one.. it's not that, um, hot looking ?, anyway, just one snail riding on the back of another snail. If you didn't know what they were up to it looks completely benign.

But I'll see how big the vid file is of the egg laying and you can let me know how large a file your inbox can handle. It is interesting if not exactly fast action.
I was just teasing about the other non-existence video. I have seen them doing it, but not egg laying. If you can figure out how, maybe post to youtube then post a link here?

·
Just a Shrimper
1,653 Posts
I also still feed spinach just not every day, and lots of variety. Homemade foods as well as lots of veggies. I also occasionally give mine fruit, they love watermelon.
Hi Pamelajo, have you kept apple snails in low ph low TDS tanks? I'm asking because most of my tanks are shrimp tanks and most of them have low PH (5.5-6.8) and low TDS (110-160), I'm not sure if they can grow healthily there, no breeding is fine, just don't want to kill them or give them too much stress.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Pam,I'm guessing you use a dehydrator to make those critter crumbs ? I have one too, I'm going to try dehydrating some romaine and spinach, then powder it and try feeding some of that and see how it goes. Your stuff sounds pretty darn good, I had a look at your site.. one of these days I'll have to try them, but meantime, my girlfriend is letting me grow veggies in her yard and I'm looking forward to having some nice organic home grown goodies, which I'll share with the critters, of course !

And the tank I keep most of my snails in usually has a fairly high Ph and typical hard local water. They seem to grow quite well in it. So far, I've only lost one snail and that was a zebra nerite I found empty lying on it's back. Don't know if it drowned or something else happened to it, but it is the only snail I have lost of any kind since I started with them. I've been told nerites sometimes have problems righting themselves if they fall on their backs.. which hardly seems to make sense, as it must happen to them in native habitat too, I'd think.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yes I have an industrial dehydrator and use it for the critter crumbs. Thanks for the kind words. Fresh veggies are great for them, unfortunately I have a small raised garden mine will be getting some of the cuks out of there. Almost have hubby talked into making another one so I can plant more stuff, like lettuce, swiss chard etc.

·
Just a Shrimper
1,653 Posts
Pamelajo, just took a look at your site too, looks interesting. Is the crumbs really crumbs like? Does it sink and how long do you recommend it to stay in water before removed (if uneaten).

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hi Randy,
It is crumbie but not tiny crumbs unless it is the end of a bag. It does sink, but the tinier stuff will float for a bit. I always tell people if there is left over you are feeding to much. I would remove any left over by the end of the next day if still there. It is very compact.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wondering if anyone knows roughly how fast these snails grow. I have maybe two dozen hatchlings, from at least two or three spawns. The oldest ones are no more than 20 days old, with the largest ones up to about a quarter inch size. The youngest ones are about a week old and vary from the size of a sesame seed to about 1/8th inch. Clearly, they grow at varying rates.

What surprises me is how few actual hatchlings I get from a given egg mass. Some don't have any viable snails in them.

But I am wondering how long it is likely to be until they are, say, a half inch or so in size.
My eggs have hatched but the larvae are taking a long time to grow..there’s tons of food too

21 - 35 of 35 Posts