GTA Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem feeding my Sail Fin pleco.

I bought the largest Algae Wafers I can find (about the diameter of a Quarter) and that wafer don't even make it half way down the tank before one of my red parrots takes the wafer.

I've tried Zucchini, cumbers, carrots even. All of them cut into toonie sized slices and the parrots once again grabs the slices, rips it apart and devours it. As a result, there is no way that I can actually feed my pleco, apart from blasting 360 watts of grow light 12 hours a day to grow algae. I want to forage river rocks with algae growth on them, but given how dirty Toronto waterfront lake is, I'm scared of contaminating my tank with God knows that chemicals. I mean I routinely see dead fish and birds in the water, along with people defecating.

There are two large pieces of wood in the tank that I routinely see the pleco chewing. I also see the pleco pooping. Not all that much, but definitely enough to be noticed.

With the current light set up, every day a healthy layer of green hair algae covers a good portion of the tank (Around 1 sq. foot combined) And every night the pleco cleans them. I'm just not sure if a diet of algae (green hair, green dots, white film, black) is enough.

The pleco appears healthy and very active at night.

Is there any way I can get food down to the pleco without the red parrots hijacking it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Most plecos are nocturnal, just drop them in at night once the lights are off, your parrots won't see them go down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most plecos are nocturnal, just drop them in at night once the lights are off, your parrots won't see them go down.
I tried. By the moment I disturb the water surface by putting something in. Or even opening the lid, the red parrots jolts awake and grabs it. This is very frustrating.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would slice a whole cucumber/zucchini in half and stick a fork in it to weigh it down. leave in over night, not more than 24hours probably good to do once a week.

My tank doesn't have large cichlids but if the cucumber is big enough and in there long enough, the pleco should get some!
Water Plant Botany Fin Petal

Extra tip, you can tie a string to the fork/spoon to pull it out after

1 - 6 of 6 Posts