GTA Aquarium Forums banner

How To Guide- Fabco Solenoid

8K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Matthew RJ 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

I've recently begun my journey into starting a CO2 setup, but I cannot say the process was very easy. Yes there are many guides and such on here and other forums that tell you about certain parts but not many in which show you actually how to achieve your goal.

Where to purchase a solenoid?

So for all those who are looking for a solenoid for their CO2 setup, I purchased mine locally in Mississauga at Sempress Canada for $33.90 total.

Here are the two parts you're going to need

- Fabco Directional Control Valve, Part # 3853-04-A287 - $27
- Plug Sys 8 Mini, Part # 4552150 -$3

The staff at Sempress are actually well aware of our use for the solenoid in the aquarium hobby and will direct you to the correct parts if you happen to forget the model numbers before you arrive.

Where to buy the wiring?

Now onto the actual wiring of this device....

It doesn't come wired so we'll have to do a bit of a modification, but nothing a grade 2 student couldn't do so don't be afraid.

After purchasing your Solenoid and adapter so it can be wired, you'll need to stop at your local hardware store and pick up a grounded 16 gauge 3 prong A/V equipment cord. This should read "16 gauge, 3 prong, 13 amps and 3 outlets" on the box. Although we will be cutting off the 3 outlets so that part is useless.

I purchased this wiring at Lowes for $10 for 16.4ft of cord, not a bad deal if you ask me.

Now that we have all the supplies we need for the build lets get started into taking everything apart. But before we do that lets just do a price recap

Whats it going to cost me?

- Fabco Directional Control Valve, Part # 3853-04-A287 - $27
- Plug Sys 8 Mini, Part # 4552150 -$3
- 16.4 FT A/V Equipment Cord- $10 (price will vary)

TOTAL PRICE- $40+tax

How to connect the wire to the solenoid

This is the Solenoid and adapter once taken apart.

Here is the A/V Equipment cord purchased from Lowes for $10

This is what it should look like once you cut the cord

Next you're going to want to peel back the outer shell of the wiring and expose the wires. You may need to use wire strippers here to strip back the plastic and expose the copper tips as you will see in the next picture.

You're now going to want to attach the fittings which came with the adapter, please note the order they go in so you do not spring a leak.

This is what it should look like after you've properly connected all the fittings.

Continued of what it should properly look like

This is where you're now going to want to feed the wiring through the box, I found it very hard to work with since I have large hands so make sure to leave yourself enough room to be able to grab the wires.

Now you're going to want to connect your wires to the appropriate slots. Please follow this as a guide when connecting as it's impossible to take pictures of it once it's connected.
Green = Earth/Ground
Black = Hot/Live (+)
White = Neg (-)

Next we connect the ground wire (green) after connecting the positive and negatives (black and white)

Once all the wires are properly connected this is the end result

After this you can simply snap everything back into place and this is what you'll be left with

Here is the end result.

Goodluck and I hope this helps you out when trying to wire your solenoid.

TorontoPlantMan
-Kirk

See less See more
#6 ·
diy

sticky this to the diy page good job

#8 ·
Much better than instructions for Ebay solenoid!

G'day and thanks for posting these.
FWIW, I used a very similar solenoid I bought on Ebay. I was not able to fit a 3 prong cord so used a 2 prong and will plug it in to a GCFI extension. This version has a resistor on one side and a diode (power on indicator) on the other. I connected the hot wire to the resistor side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.