GTA Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We opened our koi pond today and noticed a very large hole in our net. As expected, our fish population has been decimated - instead of 7 large fish + tons of babies from last year, we saw only 7 babies.

I think a raccoon, and maybe mink, had quite the feast. Any tips on keeping them out/protecting the fish? This is the first time we've lost fish to predators, though we see both raccoon and mink in the yard at least once every few months.

Thanks!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Can you share more particulars?
How large the pond, how deep, photos etc
some people suggest netting over the top, some suggest cinder blocks on sides, to allow for fish to hide in the concrete caves, some suggest loads of marginals and floaters etc.
More info would be helpful

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you share more particulars?
How large the pond, how deep, photos etc
some people suggest netting over the top, some suggest cinder blocks on sides, to allow for fish to hide in the concrete caves, some suggest loads of marginals and floaters etc.
More info would be helpful
The pond is about 18x18 and about 4 ft deep in the middle (maybe 2 feet deep on the sides). There are numerous potted lilies (just starting to grow in) in the middle and cinders/small alcoves on at least 3 sides. The lilies provide a lot of coverage once they grow in and we always cover the pond with a net from fall to spring.

Can you please explain what you mean by marginals? Are those just plants near the pond edges? I kind of worry that floating plants would multiply and take over!

·
Registered
857 Posts
yes, marginals like at the sides, but also growing out of the water, lots of emergent growth.
Your choices may differ, but I always liked lots of cover for variety but also to keep the algae down and also to provide cover.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I'll see what I can do about planting a bit around the edges this spring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts