GTA Aquarium Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I knew this bound to happen but I need some help with a couple of things.

Firstly this button polyph, I think its called people eaters is not doing well. I'm trying to think why its not and the only things that comes to mind is zebra crabs I added a few weeks back. Now I have never ever seen them even come close to this frag, but I have seen them on my ZOA colony but they just look like they are cleaning it not eating it. I also maybe.... Drop this frag a few times in the sand bed. I see new grow as seen in the pic of a small polyp emerging but out of the three big ones one looks toast, the other is on its way and the biggest one looks like its going to start melting soon. My question is should I toss the whole thing or try to frag that small new polyp and hopefully not loose this frag since I like it.

Second problem Aiptasia.... Damn it. I only see a few and added a peppermint shrimp maybe a 2 weeks ago however he's not interested. I thinking either starve the tank for a week and hopefully he easts the pest, my feeding right now is 3 times a week just like my freshwater tanks. Other option is take the two live rocks out and use a jet light to burn the aiptasia off.

Any help will be appreciated

Current tank stats
Sanity 1.252-1.255
Ammonia 0
Nirite 0
Nitrate 0
KH 13
GH don't know I stopped testing after 40!
PH 8.2

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The zoas are melting due to the amount of light. And burn off the aiptasia if you can
Thanks Dave, Too much light never crossed my mind. I guess this all started when I changed out 2 bulbs. 1 coral life actinic that didn't look blue enough, and changed out a 10k bulb for another actinic. I though 10k would be more powerful then an Actinic? All my Zoas and Polyps are kept above mid level, I will move the frag more down.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I don't think I see any Aptasia in the photos posted. Anyway, don't lose sleep over it. If you have a live rock, something can pop up some day out of blue. I've had odd things come and go, but all are part of ecosystem. If you have too much of one thing, it can be considered a pest, or directly affect other livestock you want to keep, but the pest can be just about anything.

In my tank the pests are blue mushroom, blue clove polyps, pulsing xenia, some Palys. I fear these more than Aptisia or bristleworms.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm sure some people would love to take those "pests" from your aquarium lol

btw nice tank coldmantis looks like soon you'll be selling frags instead of plants.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
R.I.P. Patrick Star :(, I gagged when I took him out. The melting spread to the central disk, there is no hope after that. I think I know what happened. I was playing around with my sump level and maybe pour in 1/2-1 g of salt water probably changed the sanity too fast

·
Not a mod!
7,167 Posts
most stars need a nutrient rich tank with stable conditions. I've been told by quite a few LFS's that most of them melt within one year at best...unless your conditions are right.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I'm thinking about drilling my tank soon maybe next weekend once I get all my parts I ordered. I plan on drilling the top back side. How far should i drill from the edge and top trim of the tank? Is it 1.5" x the diameter of my bulkhead?(1") so it should be 2.625" from the side edge and top trim? What about the second hole should it also be 2.625" apart from the first hole?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
1 1/2" Standard Bulkhead - Requires 2 1/2 " hole
You lost me Sig? I'm not asking what size hole for a 1" bulkhead I'm asking about how far apart from the edge of the glass should I drill the hole and how far from the first hole I should drill the second hole. I already got a 45mm(1.75") diamond hole drill bit for my 1" bulkhead.

·
Not a mod!
7,167 Posts
A good suggestion is "a minimum of the same size hole you would be drilling"

So if you're drilling a 1" hole then atleast 1" to the next hole...although more is better of course.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Got my bulkheads, just to make sure I install it right when I drill this weekend. The rubber gasket goes inside the tank of course but I noticed that the gasket has a smooth side and a side that has two rings around it. Is the side that has rings around it pressed against the glass? Or do I flip the gasket around and have the smooth side against the glass.

Here is how it came

Is the proper way to tighten a bulkhead with your hands then use a wrench and do a 1/4 turn?

And I'm guessing using silicone after is a bad idea?

Also this is a slip and slip pvc cement on the outside for connecting a fitting or pipe is a must for the bulkhead right?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts