GTA Aquarium Forums banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

· ADA enthusiast
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks for the insight man. That sounds alright. I will try to take a scale with me. lol

I don't have much space so I'd rather choose a small cylinder for this tank. Not to mention, this is the only tank I have, so I think a 5 or 10lbs cylinder will be overkill and too cluttered. I am trying to do a minimal ADA setup as much as possible. I'm planning on ordering the regulator from here: https://www.natureaquascapes.com/products/uns-mini-co2-regulator-single-gauge

this would be the tank : https://www.amazon.ca/Empire-Paintb...A22T8NYKY89&psc=1&refRID=R6GJZBP8CA22T8NYKY89

I am also going to try and find a UNS paintball adapter for the regulator.

· ADA enthusiast
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Are you planning on eventually getting lily pipes?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Definitely. I am trying to find a set somewhere. I cannot find any that isn't ridiculously priced. Furthermore, I can only find Jardli ones on amazon...and the set price is crazy compared to individual lily pipes. I found a decent price on amazon.com, so I might go for that.

I mean ADA ones are quality and demand their price...but it is so expensive. It is also hard to ID which third party lily pipes are decent quality. Not to mention, I am torn between which shape I need to get.. I don't want the regular pipe to wash the soil away from the opposite corner of the tank, especially since things are stacked up on the right side. I need to ensure the arrangement can move the water around without any dead spots.

· ADA enthusiast
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I used 1.5 x 9L bags of normal type Amazonia with a little bit of powder on top. Got the soil from Angelfins.

I was away for the last few days and came back to a pleasant sight of progress in the tank. I also bought a couple of nice upgrades for the tank (DOOA lily outflow) .. (still need a good inflow)...and the glass cover.

The Vietnam H'ra is growing. I also started dosing with iron/flourish excel/tropica advanced nutrition.

Excitingly, the wallichi is also growing.

· Registered
294 Posts
Looks really great! I want to try R. Wallichii one day, just havn't gotten around to it. I know it's too late but have you thought about stainless steel inflow/outflow with a built in surface skimmer? That way you wont have to worry about cleaning the lily pipes as much and can remove that unsightly skimmer.

Keep the updates coming, its nice to see another journal on here.

· ADA enthusiast
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thank you very much guys. :)

lol... 4 days after that video, the R. Wallichi is all covered with green algae.. The CO2 tank had a leak,...completely emptied in 3 days and the tank was full of algae. I think my bioload is pretty high and my feeding/lighting/other parameters are not in balance yet.

Yes! I am now more than ever considering the stainless steel lily pipes. My only concern is the flow level. Already flow seems pretty high in my tank with the 2215... I don’t know if the outflow for the steel pipes will make it too much for my fish?

· Registered
294 Posts
lol...yea. I need to follow my hunch and perhaps use the white plumber's tape to make sure the fittings are all sealed.
Every metal threaded connection needs a sealant (teflon tape will do) or it will leak. The connection from the reg to the co2 tank needs a fiber or nylon washer that you can ask for when you get your tank filled.

· ADA enthusiast
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Tank looking clean, plants looking great. Where did you get your small SAE?
Thanks man. I got them a few months ago (december) from Finatics aquarium. I got 6...but one jumped and found it dead. Then a second jumped while I was in the room and heard it crash on the top glass..so since then.. I have been covering the tank more.comprehensively.

· ADA enthusiast
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thank you man. Honestly...don’t bother with it. It was waaaay too expensive. Totally not worth it in my opinion. I have the Eheim one at $50 that i bought on Boxing Day sale. This thing is 6 x that cost. Don’t get me started why I even bothered. The biggest waste of money ever. It is not worth sending back after the customs duty that I paid either...so just a bad expense. The Eheim one is much more effective and robust. This thing looks awesome but gets choked easily and makes a clicking sound due to the float switch in it. Also the skimmer motor is very weak. Don’t get me wrong, it works...but just not as good as the Eheim. I haven’t decided...but I am flip-flopping on maybe selling it here on GTA aquaria just to recover at least part of the cost.

· Registered
111 Posts
Thank you man. Honestly...don't bother with it. It was waaaay too expensive. Totally not worth it in my opinion. I have the Eheim one at $50 that i bought on Boxing Day sale. This thing is 6 x that cost. Don't get me started why I even bothered. The biggest waste of money ever. It is not worth sending back after the customs duty that I paid either...so just a bad expense. The Eheim one is much more effective and robust. This thing looks awesome but gets choked easily and makes a clicking sound due to the float switch in it. Also the skimmer motor is very weak. Don't get me wrong, it works...but just not as good as the Eheim. I haven't decided...but I am flip-flopping on maybe selling it here on GTA aquaria just to recover at least part of the cost.
Thats pretty crazy.. Looks like i'm sticking with my Eheim ha!

21 - 40 of 60 Posts