GTA Aquarium Forums banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

· ADA enthusiast
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
A lot of changes have happened in the last few months:

1) Hendy was generous enough to share some of his incredible plants and I love the P. eructus plant. It adds a nice vibrancy to the tank.

2) After a bit, I finally caved to the huge bio load causing issues and gave away all my 22 x cardinals , 5 x SAE to Big Als. The byproduct of that was the cherry shrimp came out to play. LOL. They loved it. The tank belonged to them

3) Bought new livestock : 2 X reticulated SAE at BigAls in hamilton (in a oddball/returns tank), bunch of chili Rasboras , 6 x CPDs, 5 x nerite snails

Refreshing the plants. Over time, I noticed the buffering capacity of the ADA soil has gone down. the R. wallichi suffered and the R. macranda wasn't doing too well either. I was also interested in trying out some Myrophyllium sp. and ended up picking a couple of bunches of red and green varieties from Big Als.

Re-model time

Overall, I think the plants should definitely liven up and freshen up the tank for me. I am interested to see how they make it in the tank now. Hopefully with the lower bio load, the red species of myriophyllium will keep its color?

Observations: SAE are among my fav fish. I have been searching high and low for the true SAE... sub sp. langei with a particularly broad lateral line that is also thick along the tail. However, I have been unable to track any down. When I found the reticulated SAE, I jumped on it. The Big Als storekeeper was against me purchasing these as algae eaters, but I knew right away that these are C. reticulatus and according to some, better than SAE.

As time passed, the fish put on some size. I lost a couple of my Otos as they actually jumped out the tank through the gaps in the lid. My nephew ran around the living room near the tank after the lights go off and I find these fish to be especially skittish. Unfortunately they paid for it with their lives.

the chili Rasboras were exceptional and very friendly. they were bold fish and did really well in this tank for me. However, after nearly 2 months since I had them and them putting on a bit of size, I lost 6/11 fish all at once due to being stuck in the skimmer. I positioned the skimmer on the opposite side of the tank after a re-model and the fish got sucked in and died :( . I also lost 2 CPD as they jumped out of the tank at night. :(

As of now, I am left with 3 x Otos, 4 x CPDs, 5 X chilis, 2 x SAE, 8 x Scarlet Badis, 20-30 x cherry shrimp, 10 x Amano , 5 x nerite snails

The bio load is good. I don't need to worry about fish gasping for air overnight. There is sufficient O2 to sustain them until the CO2 and lights come on in the morning + the ADA lily pipes create sufficient surface agitation to help with oxygenation in the tank. I want to re-stock with a couple more Otos, a few more (5) CPDs and some chilis.. but I ran into a fin rot issue with one Scarlet Badis which died in the quarantine tank under medications. As a result, I am extremely wary of attempting to add new livestock without quarantine. So that means, I am trying to set up an auxiliary setup for new livestock to ensure that the new fish are healthy. The goal is to breed my Badis and only time will tell if I can achieve that.

Any tips/comments about the idea to add more livestock..about the current setup is appreciated. :) thanks for reading.

· ADA enthusiast
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
I agree! I think an update is in order with some pics.
That is a seriously nice looking tank
Very nice !

What type of rocks did you use and where did you buy them ?
Sorry I missed this post guys. Thank you for your nice comments.

The rocks are mini-landscape rock from BigAls in Mississauga.

I have had some ups and downs in the past few months. I changed the livestock a couple times.

I got rid of the CPDs as they were too small of a group and wanted something a bit more flashy. The myriophillium wasn't working as well as I wanted (algae on all leaves underneath the crown) and had to whack it back down.

I also finally returned all the Amanos (2 hid in the rocks and escaped my hunt) and ended up getting 3 more to have a base algae crew.

I also got a new crew of red rainbow fish (P. luminatus) and some clown killis. I lost 6/8 of the killis due to them jumping out. Things were looking good, until I had screwed up with the terrible finicky needle valve on the UNS mini regulator that I am using. I ended up gassing my tank. For 3h the CO2 was going at a speed akin to an airstone. Lost a few shrimp and pretty much the entire algae crew (3 x silver flying foxes, 4 x Otos, 2 x Scarlet Badis, 2 x Rasbora). But surprisingly, the others made it back from the brink of death.

For now, the tank is back to it's original vision. I am definitely over the layout at this point and want to do a remodel. I am getting some new equipment (new filter, new GLA CO2 regulator, twinstar sterilizer) and definitely want to remodel it with some perspective. In the meanwhile, I do not have any luck with the new batch of Otos and keep loosing them. Unlike the very first batch all of which survived nearly a year until the CO2 gassing.

VID_20191214_114815 by Varun Anipindi, on Flickr

It is just a lot of work to deal with the livestock transfer and attempt to do a clean reboot. I am also facing a big issue with scuds which probably entered the tank through some plants from the LFS.

· ADA enthusiast
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Looking great! Really love that scape. That's disappointing to hear about the Vuppa II as I was really looking into getting one for my 90P. It's $$$ but clean and sexy looking...well, as sexy as a rectangular piece of metal gets.
Thanks. 😁 Yea.. it's ok... You can live with it and it does do the job. However, powerwise it doesn't really even compare with the eheim. I think the vuppa is good if you always have a clean scape and diligently get rid of any plant matter that might float up. Once that it is done, it will do a decent job at skimming the surface. The eheim is just sheer power and will work through anything. Keep in mind that this may be a good/bad thing: sometimes livestock goes in the skimmer as well and with eheim it is almost impossible for them to keep up to that power.

· ADA enthusiast
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I know this is an old thread but I finally ended up taking the tank apart and started a new setup so figured I close this chapter for now.

I lost a lot of the fish slowly either due to disease or them jumping out the tank (Although I feel the dwarf rainbow live only a couple years?)

Once the tank was down to one single lampeye killifish and 2 green tetras, I figured I should finally take it down. Basically as of October 31, 2021, this tank was setup and lasted for nearly 3 years. For the most part, I was pretty satisfied with it, but definitely started getting bored with the layout.

However, I figured I use this tank as a holding tank until I either sell the inhabitants or figure out a plan for my new tank.

One thing led to another and this has now become a bare bottom tank with more fish in it. In fact, these fish are my new favourites. Unfortunately, after having them for nearly 2 months, one of them is showing signs of a parasitic infection. Tried my best to nuke the tank with general cure and supratect.

· ADA enthusiast
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Hey,

Thanks for your interest. The tank has been taken down. I have moved the fish into an ADA 60F, but it isn't as balanced as I would like it to be. Suffering from lots of stag horn algae, BBA and dying fish. I think it has to do with multiple factors including smaller volume and change in water parameters due to new substrate/hardscape etc. As a temporary scape, I used fluorite black and sand + lava rock.

I am trying to see if I can salvage it in some way. Unfortunately all the fish didn't survive this move/transition well.

V

Attachments

· Registered
1 Posts
Hey,

Thanks for your interest. The tank has been taken down. I have moved the fish into an ADA 60F, but it isn't as balanced as I would like it to be. Suffering from lots of stag horn algae, BBA and dying fish. I think it has to do with multiple factors including smaller volume and change in water parameters due to new substrate/hardscape etc. As a temporary scape, I used fluorite black and sand + lava rock.

I am trying to see if I can salvage it in some way. Unfortunately all the fish didn't survive this move/transition well.

V
Another nice looking tank that. I’ve always wanted to keep Asian rummy noses. Are they as active as your standard rummy nose? I’m just started up another tank and I really like the layout of the previous tank. Nice and simple Great work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· ADA enthusiast
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Another nice looking tank that. I’ve always wanted to keep Asian rummy noses. Are they as active as your standard rummy nose? I’m just started up another tank and I really like the layout of the previous tank. Nice and simple Great work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! I have had these for over a year now. Unfortunately I lost a few due to disease (parasites) that spread from one to the other. I finally picked up some meds in the states so hopefully I can save the few I have left. I think they definitely prefer lower flow than regular rummy nose. I just find that rasboras in general prefer lower flow. Hence I switched from regular lily pipe to the bubble pipe. They are very sensitive to water conditions and definitely prefer a higher pH with higher TDS. I started loosing colour and general health/faced losses in lower pH tank. I re-added the mini-landscape rock and they seem to be doing better... PS... the tank is really dirty as I just came back from vacation and need to clean it up. I am planning on resetting it and using this to medicate these fish anyways.

Plant Vegetation Grass Pet supply Terrestrial plant

41 - 60 of 60 Posts