GTA Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I'm wondering if someone knows where i can get the hardware to make prefilters for canisters and for Aquaclear 50,70 & 110's...

I'm tired of cleaning the sponges inside the aquaclear every week to 2 weeks and i was thinking that it would be easier to clean a prefilter sponge then to discrupts all the material inside the Aquaclears & Canisters. Of course they will have to be cleaned eventually but not that frequently.

Any information on where i can get parts or how to do it, please let me know. See the links below please, obviously i could order from them but i was looking more local,, Ontario close to the GTA.

All Advice & help Definitely appreciated: :)
Sheldon

http://americanaquariumproducts.com/PreFilter.html

Article on Cichlid Forum as well:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/power_filter_tricks_iii.php

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/203833/product.web

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
You can use the AC foam inserts, by cutting a slot in it and fitting over inlet tube. You will have to clean them quite often or lose your flow. Quite frankly, I would sooner clean the AC inserts weekly with the water change.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info bill, Yes that is a good idea but i was hoping to get the sponge away from the back of the tank a bit like you see on the links for the hardware portion. I haven't attempted this project yet but lately there has not been a lot of time at home so i was hoping some could be purchased for a decent price with the connector and tubing and i could at least just add the sponge myself on the end.....

thanks
Sheldon

·
Registered
437 Posts
Most pet stores carry a prefilter made by fluval. Comes in a small black box. I use them on all my Aquaclears. They are just a bit to small for my Rena Cannisters but I use them anyway. They keep the snails out of the filter grills. I clean them either once a week or when they start to collapse around the middle.

I"ve never had much luck cutting the sponge filters like Bill suggests. I guess I just don't have a round knife. :)

Lee

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips Lee_D,,, i will check those out when i get a chance.

Bill, i agree the x works pretty good, also heard that it's a great idea to wet the sponge and freeze it and take it out and cut it as it makes it very easy... Ever hear of that Bill?

thanks folks
sheldon

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
yes, freezing does help as it makes it rigid. I soak and freeze regular sponges so I can use a hole saw to cut a hole through them for the old type jungle sponge filters.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
great thanks bill.. i'm going to do that and make some for now until i find the elbow parts and stuff i need to extend the intakes out from the back of the tanks......

appreciate all the help so far....
sheldon

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yes, those are the guy's I use as well. It's been about a year since I've looked at them in the store. It looks like they have changed. I don't remember them saying "Edge" on them. The box looks smaller as well. I'd actually like to find something a bit bigger. The ones I have are 7 cm long and are just about 2-3 mm short for my Rena Canister filters. Just enough of a gap for the snails to get caught in...

Lee

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Lee_d and Alexpatrascu. I appreciate the tips on the sponges....

NOW, i'm hoping that someone could give me some tips on where i can buy the hardware (plastic pipe elbows & tubing) to bring the sponges out from the back of the glass like in the links i have posted...

thank-you

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks Lee_d and Alexpatrascu. I appreciate the tips on the sponges....

NOW, i'm hoping that someone could give me some tips on where i can buy the hardware (plastic pipe elbows & tubing) to bring the sponges out from the back of the glass like in the links i have posted...

thank-you
I've never tried this but I'm wondering if you can buy a replacement U intake tube for an AC filter and cut it in two places and rejoin them to create the elbow?

You can also buy the pvc elbows in the right diameter depending on whether you want them to fit on the outside or inside of your intake tube. Most hardware stores like Home Depot and Canadian Tire will carry them and some pets stores will carry clear acrylic tubes in different diameters if you prefer the look.

Here's a similar mod someone did but with a different configuration: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/diy-aquarium-projects/70683-aquaclear-intake-redone.html

If you're looking for a custom one piece bend, you can buy a length of the acrylic tube and gently heat the area where you want the elbow and bend it to the desired angle. This takes some practice and you really need a heat source but it will give you a seamless bend. Double bends are trickier but still doable. If you want a consistent bend, create a jig to shape the heated pipe. There are different ways to heat the pipe. You can experiment with boiling hot water, heat guns or something that gives off heat like a stovetop burner. If you can, fill the tube with some sand or something heat resistent so that the acrylic tube doesn't kink too much and deform when bending.

GL!

·
Registered
524 Posts
The question is...do you REALLY need the elbow ?!?

I use the Fluval sponge over both my Eheim filters with no problem at all.

I also use it on the AC filter I have on my 2 gal.

The sopnge is close to the glass but it does not affect the functionality of the sponge/filter at all.

Just another "sending money" option IMO...not really vital.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have purchased standard sponge filters and they easily adapt to AC intakes. Piping and all.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I guess the Rena intake grill must be a little longer than the Eheim. Surprisingly enough, I found a prefilter made by Eheim at BA Mississauga this afternoon that is 13 cm long rather than the 7 cm of the Fluval. It's bright white though so it really stands out. I hope it Grey's with age.

I also question the need for the elbows. Sounds like you may end up with more plumbing than fish...

Lee

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks folks ( Lee_D, J-P, Alexpatrascu, CoryKat).....

Corykat, thanks for the tips on the MOD.. Looks very interesting but more work then i want right now for sure, but might consider down the road.

Alex and J-P, it's not vital to have it and possibly not much benefit, but the best part of it is that it allows the filter to be horizontal, just a perk. They don't cost that much when purchased with the sponge like in the links that i have added to the post or the one below. I'm just trying to find a place to buy them like those. Without having to order from the U.S.....

thanks everyone. Somebody must carry the filter max pre-filters,
Scroll down on the link:
http://www.jehmco.com/html/hydro-sponge_filters.html

thanks for everyones tips and info. Truly appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
411 Posts
no perk in having an elbow in the flow. If there was everyone would be making them. It restricts water flow and can trap air. DIY is fairly easy with a propane torch and some rubber hose to keep it from kinking. Just be gentle... very gentle on the heat.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks J-p, never thought of the flow restriction. I'm more focused on eliminating all the cleaning of all the aquaclears, which is close to 15 of them right now. I'd rather just clean the prefilters because the beneficial bacteria will be in the aquaclear sponges and media i have in there.......

thanks for mentioning that key point, i will have to consider if the flow restriction is going to be to much of a sacrifice or not because i do run 2 x #5 sponges in each tank as well......

thank-you
sheldon

·
Registered
411 Posts
you are welcome.

Attaching a standard sponge filter to the AC intake is easy to do. Regular maintenance (as with everything) is the key.

For my breeder tanks I have a simple stocking zip tied to the intake, but again that is regular maintenance. The finer the pores the more debris it will trap.

For purely mechanical filtration look at a Diatom filter or a HOT Magnum.

Run either of those once a week and you'll have water so clear people will think that your tanks are fake.

·
PEARLING
2,419 Posts
JEHMCO will ship to Canada using USPS, avoiding brokerage fee's, and high shipping costs. Just avoid ordering anything but your sponges to keep weight under a few pounds.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts