GTA Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 408 Posts

·
Decepticon & Panic Monger
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Live food Pool - GTA Bug Buddy System

Live Food Bug Buddies...

Okay, here is an idea that might be something we should really think about doing. After the green water discussion, perhaps it is best to put it here.

Live foods are sort of hard to come by, and if there is away to group together a group who are willing to swap for genetic diversity, trade for something you need or sell to those who have nothing to start with.

This can serve purpose of acquiring live foods, or helping if a culture crashes and no back up is available.

Anyone in for this? Anyone wants to help me figure this out? I need rules of guide lines.

I was thinking we can keep our names in a list for what we want, what we are looking for.

UPDATE: Going to Update the list. Come on Bug Buddies :3

Your thoughts?

Live Food Haves:

Sunstar: Microworms, vinegar eels,
wng368: Baby Brine Shrimp (is this a culture?)
UnderTheSea: Phytoplankton, Live Rotifier culture (In progress)
Zebrapl3co: white worms
Ppulcher: Vinegar Eels, Red worms (In Progress)
juanitow: red worms
newbiefishfanatic: Pond snails (On the house)
Blossom112: Guppy fry, Vinegar Eels, Microworms (poor little slags) (almost all gone, I repeat, poor little slags)
Bigshark: red ramshorns, Microworms
Slobodan: daphnia, microworms, white worms

Live Food Wants:
theeyrietrainer: Microworms
desjardo: Daphnia, red/black worms
Sunstar: Daphnia, red Wigglers, White worms. Phytoplankton starter.
wng368: Black Worms
Zebrapl3co: Something the size of bloodworms
Ppulcher: Microworms, grindle Worms
Kyle775: White worms
Bigshark: Any Culture or trade
matti2uude: Microworms

Stores that have live foods:

Big Al's Oakville: Black worms (warning may contain leeches)
Big Al's Hamilton: Wingless fruit flies
PJ pickering: Wingless fruit flies

Rumour: Petsmart plains road may have live foods in future. For reptiles tough, they now carry Silkworms and hornworms, as well as the normal stuff.

Word from the Wise:
Did anyone know that you can start a daphnia culture from sun dried daphnia bought in some pet shops. Use some old or better yet green water in a gallon jar and sprinkle in some dried daphnia and in a week they should be swimming around. They can then be fed with brewers yeast a tiny dusting at a time.

·
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could get you some Microworms somehow.

·
Banned
353 Posts
I am still looking for Daphnia. But if I dont have by new year I am ordering a culture. So I will 100% have daphnia, and would like to find some red/black worms.

·
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
red worms as in red wiggler? or blood worms?

·
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad its a good idea. Just I think this should help, hopefully, solve the live food location issue.

·
9,076 Posts
Yea great idea Sunstar!

I have nothing to offer ATM :( I wanna start up a redworm bin soon and depending on how that goes could make for a nice feeder worm. I do have vin eel but they arnt going so well.

Mum does have a pool that i can gather from in the spring. :) Lots of crap grows in the water that is collected on top of the black cover.

·
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So the red worms are the red wigglers? There's a bait store across the road. I might investigate it. I've raised red wigglers before.

Thanks for the sticky!

·
9,076 Posts
Yaya! Currently I only have those fat nightcrawlers which you cant breed from what i've been told but i havent looked into it.

this was the site i was gunna get, or build my worm bin from

http://www.cathyscomposters.com/

·
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh I had my night crawlers breeding when I was a kid. I'd catch them mating. and sure enough, I'd find babies. I sold lots for fishing.

I bougth from them years ago. I got my worm bin...somewhere... where....hmmmm lid is outside...

·
Registered
141 Posts
i some times have adult brine shrimp going but they tend to crash on me after 1.5 - 2 months (i think its the size of the tank i use)

·
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was curious. Where do you get your eggs?

·
Premium Member
7,627 Posts
There's a great park behind my parent's place, and I've caught daphnia there as a kid. I can look into it in the spring.
Also in the spring before we open up the pool, I always have mosquito larvae and live blood worms.

I otherwise have nothing to offer at the moment.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Cultures I have:

Vinegar eels
Redworms (small population just now)

Culture's I'd like:
Grindal worms
Microworms

"Commodity" Live foods I feed:
Blackworms (someone at KWAS orders them monthly - much easier than culturing!)
Baby brine shrimp (I hatch them daily).

1 - 20 of 408 Posts