GTA Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mexican Orange Dwarf Crayfish (CPO) is giving birth in my breeding box right now!

In fact, she is not delivering them and babies are not hatching. They have hatched about a week ago and were hanging on their mother. They are landing now :)

As you might remember I had bunch of CPO babies. Unfortunately, they all died for now. I keep them in a good aquarium, but they might needed something I haven't given them.
The second time I miss 'landing' moment of babies and they all are gone.

The is a third attempt, I hope this time it will be better.

There are several baby crays that are on the ground now. The female is slowly swinging her abdomen to shake babies away ...

·
Formerly GuppyLove :)
911 Posts
Wow that is amazing! The babies must be very cute when they are walking around!

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guessing a good home for babies

Almost all baby crays have landed today.

Having majority of previous bunch dead in that breeding box, I was looking for a new place to grow them today.

I decided to try different places.
So, I put them into 6 different tanks, left some in the breeding box and put some into a plastic box with no filter, but good aquarium water.
Baby crayfish are located in tanks with ordinary water, soft and hard water.

The only problem with that is that I will not see dead bodies, crays are so small now. They will be alive or just disappear.
Let's wish them luck :)

·
9,074 Posts
Good luck! I miss having baby crays.. I had a batch of electric blues soo soo long ago.

·
Registered
625 Posts
cool little guys just make sure you have lots of hiding places as i hear the little guys will eat each other when they molt.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cool little guys just make sure you have lots of hiding places as i hear the little guys will eat each other when they molt.
I haven't seen them really attacking each other. Usually when they meet, they both jump out (got scared, as I see) simultaneously.
I try to feed them carefully.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Igor, I understand some breeders use plastic drinking straws cut up into halves/qtrs as hiding places - dont know how they weigh them down -

Nice shot of the babies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts