GTA Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Aquascape for life
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Date: Feb 12th
This is currently my second ever planted tank (started on Feb 10th). I'm still in the learning process and have read lots about Japanese nature style aquariums. Here's my attempt at a "classic Amano style" nature aquarium.
So the inspiration obviously comes from Jiuzhaigou Valley, a world-renowned national park located in the Sichuan Province of China. I, personally, have been there twice and enjoyed every aspect and every second of my stay. Interestingly, the landscape changed significantly during my second visit due to the Sichuan Earthquake (off topic). In fact, if you enter Aquainspiration's website, and under the Inspiration column, you'll find a gallery full of pictures taken from Jiuzhaigou.

Enough said, here's my setup.
(a few of you with sharp eyes may notice that this was my previous Crystal Red Tank :))

Technical Specs:
9 gallon bow front rounded front corners
Filter: Eheim 2211
Lighting: 24w power compact + 13w pc = 37w
substrate: ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia I
CO2: DIY

Flora:
Fissidens Fontanus
Hemianthus Micranthemoides
Ludwigia Brevipes
Microsorum Pteropus "narrow"
Taxiphyllum sp. (Peacock moss)
Proserpinaca Palustris "Cuba"
Staurogyne Repens
Ludwigia Arcuata
Myriophyllum Elatinoides
Microcarpaea minima

The following plants have been removed or replaced:
Cryptocoryne Parva
Cryptocoryne beckettii "petchii''
Eleocharis Belem
Eleocharis Vivipara
Utricularia Graminifolia
Rotala sp. "Nanjenshan"

Fauna: Celestial Pearl Danio, Otocinclus sp., SAE, Neocaridina Heteropoda

February 11th

Full Tank Shots

Feb 13th (First Day - the beginning)

Feb 26th (2 weeks)

March 6th (22 days)

·
Registered
470 Posts
This looks like a great start. The only suggestion I would make, is getting the drift wood up a bit, once the UG grows in your going to lose a lot of the interesting lines along the bottom and your mound design will start to look flat.

Good call adding some fast growers while the slow growth gets established.

·
Premium Member
9,085 Posts
Lovely start! Looking forward to seeing this progress.

What are those lovely little plants in the very front?

·
Aquascape for life
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lovely start! Looking forward to seeing this progress.

What are those lovely little plants in the very front?
Thanks Ciddian! I really looked forward to this contest. The foreground is "Utricularia Graminifolia"

This looks like a great start. The only suggestion I would make, is getting the drift wood up a bit, once the UG grows in your going to lose a lot of the interesting lines along the bottom and your mound design will start to look flat.

Good call adding some fast growers while the slow growth gets established.
Glad I could get some professional advice :p
I'll see what I can do. the substrate at the back is actually 2" thick, so it's a lot more sloped than it looks. Ideally Imma keep the UG under 1" cuz they just keep growing taller competing for light lol. you better start your tank soon ;)

·
Aquascape for life
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
good stuff my man.. looking sharp!
whattt, no constructive criticism?? :D
btw Jimmy, that white spot on the DW on the left is superglue...props to you.
had a bit of fishing line come lose and went "oh hey, might as well take his advice".

·
Aquascape for life
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys.

I will aim for a weekly update schedule.

Man I really hope my tank won't peak in May, would still have another month or so to go...

·
Formerly GuppyLove :)
911 Posts
I like the driftwood, nice !

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
let it grow in my friend... lots of positive criticism to come =)

whattt, no constructive criticism?? :D
btw Jimmy, that white spot on the DW on the left is superglue...props to you.
had a bit of fishing line come lose and went "oh hey, might as well take his advice".

·
Aquascape for life
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
nice and beautiful tank!!! I like the plants you got there coz some are rare. I wish I can afford to setup a tank like this. I dont know if you spent like 300+ for this setup. correct me if im wrong;)
Appreciate it :)
nah I probably spent no more than $150. Everything is reused from my shrimp tank, except for plants. haha But you do know I sold a lot of plants and that money comes in full cycle, now using it again for plants.
All the equipment brand new (half a year ago) cost $120 ish (mostly the Eheim). Probably spent about $40 bucks on plants from Jimmy + Menagerie and some others I got for free and through trades. I'm especially happy about the potted UG, it was generous a gift

let it grow in my friend... lots of positive criticism to come =)
yes sir, Jam meister.

·
Aquascape for life
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A few additions!!

A few minor additions have been made. Got some hard-to-find Staurogyne Repens in the right mid ground. In the back-centre I've got a few stems of one of my favourite plants: Proserpinaca Palustris "Cuba"

The Hemianthus Micranthemoides isn't growing much at all, most of the stems and leaves have melted...so disappointed.
On the other hand, the Ludwigia Arcuata is doing exceptionally well; it's turning red at merely half of the tank's height.

Full tank shot

Good stuff

·
Aquascape for life
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looking really good. Great choice of fish p. Furcatus is one of my favorites. I love the way they constantly display.
Thanks Dave, yah I love pseudomugils. Especially the furcata species.
But as I am addicted to shrimp, I may end up removing fish and throwing in some neocaridina's. They're elegant and proficient algae eaters: killing two birds with one stone. :p
btw your tank is coming along nicely also, I've always been reluctant to work with anubias, due to their excess ability to attract algae.

·
Aquascape for life
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Huge photo update!

3 weeks in. Today I felt like taking a bunch of photos. The following is comprised of full tank shots, macro shots, and pearling (plants) shots. :D

full tank shots:

Macro shots:

gravid Otocinclus sp. - she is FULL of eggs

Proserpinaca Palustris "Cuba"

Ludwigia Brevipes taking over the canopy layer...need something smaller and slower growing :eek:

Staurogyne sp. Repens - top view

Microsorum Pteropus "Narrow" - new shoot

Eleocharis sp. Belem - runner

Utricularia Graminifolia - carnivorous bladders (traps)

Peacock Moss growth

Pearling plants:

UG

Fissidens Fontanus

Narrow Leaf Java Fern

S. Repens

Hemianthus Micranthemoides

And...a final full tank shot

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.