GTA Aquarium Forums banner

101 - 120 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I use the powder carbo-calcium for a balance of calcium and alkalinity. So no need to test calcium. I have verified few times and the calcium is at 420~440. Just add magnesium manually.

https://aquarium.bulkreefsupply.com/search?w=tropic marin carbo&asug=

The All-for-Reef one will be double the cost, even using the DIY kit.
One liquid for all your dosing needs! Sounds like a dream.. If US$116 can solve 1 year of the dosing requirement for my tank I would consider it. However, looks like there's no Canadian vendor selling this product.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
While looking around I found this - how does affect the use of alkatronic? Are you using the Carbo-Calcium to raise Alk through alkatronic? If so, does alkatronic use a method that works better with Carbo-Calcium in measuring actual Alk level?

The article says Carbo-Calcium is good at maintaining Alk level but not recommend for raising Alk..

https://www.tropic-marin.com/neuigkeiten/de-neues-aus-dem-tropic-marin-labor/?lang=en

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Just tested embedding images and it worked! Thanks.

As for the orange gel, I have Polylab's Coral View Lens and Orphek Reef Aquarium Lens, still couldn't make out nice pictures! Will try again.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
One liquid for all your dosing needs! Sounds like a dream.. If US$116 can solve 1 year of the dosing requirement for my tank I would consider it. However, looks like there's no Canadian vendor selling this product.
Only BRS has the powder and DIY kit. Aquariumdepot.ca has the liquid versions only.

Buying from BRS is not too bad. On top of the US price, you need to convert to CAD, then add 18% for shipping including customs, then add 13% tax. No surprise from over charging by UPS or FedEx!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
While looking around I found this - how does affect the use of alkatronic? Are you using the Carbo-Calcium to raise Alk through alkatronic? If so, does alkatronic use a method that works better with Carbo-Calcium in measuring actual Alk level?

The article says Carbo-Calcium is good at maintaining Alk level but not recommend for raising Alk..

https://www.tropic-marin.com/neuigkeiten/de-neues-aus-dem-tropic-marin-labor/?lang=en
I used ESV to raise alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium first. But recently when I was waiting for the Alkatronic reagent, I shut down the Alkatronic then Alkalinity dropped to 7.3. Then after Alkatronic was online, the Carbo-Calcium could raise alkalinity without issue. But I think in the future if this happens I would dose ESV first as it is cheaper!

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Just tested embedding images and it worked! Thanks.

As for the orange gel, I have Polylab's Coral View Lens and Orphek Reef Aquarium Lens, still couldn't make out nice pictures! Will try again.
Looks like you have necessary tools already! Which camera do you use to take pictures? The shots I took were at night so white LEDs were pretty much off, leaving only blue/royal blue and some violet.

My filter is the orange one (14000K from the Orphek set looks closest) but you need to make sure your camera's color temperature is also set to 14000K - most cellphone cameras may not have ability to adjust color temperature to this. Also, since the filter reduces blue light where your light fixture is providing mostly blue, there's a lot less light to capture now meaning you need large aperture, high ISO and probably longer shutter time to compensate for the lack of light...

To be honest, the user photos on Polyp Lab's website aren't too impressive. It's definitely better than without the filter, but definitely not making the best use of the filter.

Thanks for sharing all the details. Your tank looks fantastic as usual, looking forward to seeing the tank fill up as before!

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Only BRS has the powder and DIY kit. Aquariumdepot.ca has the liquid versions only.

Buying from BRS is not too bad. On top of the US price, you need to convert to CAD, then add 18% for shipping including customs, then add 13% tax. No surprise from over charging by UPS or FedEx!
BRS kit is out of stock at the moment but it doesn't matter as I still have plenty of 2-part from reefsupplies and BRS that will last a year or two. Once I run out, I will definitely consider this.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
I am just using iPhone XR, may be this is the issue! In the past I used a camera to adjust white balance and with an orange gel, a lot better. May be going back to old practice!

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I used ESV to raise alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium first. But recently when I was waiting for the Alkatronic reagent, I shut down the Alkatronic then Alkalinity dropped to 7.3. Then after Alkatronic was online, the Carbo-Calcium could raise alkalinity without issue. But I think in the future if this happens I would dose ESV first as it is cheaper!
That makes sense. Alkatronic seems like a very nice investment! Too bad its price is way out of reach, at least to me.. but maybe some day.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #110 (Edited)
Regarding the Klir fleece filters, from time to time the motors were not powerful enough to advance the fleece and sometime the fleece were torn apart. So I had contacted Coralvue and they sent me two more powerful motors and updated bottom assemblies for free even I have the units for over a year!

They work perfectly now!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #111 (Edited)
Currently I bought quarantined fish and quarantine everything wet (corals, frags, etc.) before putting in the display tank.

I move one step further out of abundant caution. Other than getting those bulky UV units and requiring plumbing (I know they are more efficient), I have installed two 24W Green Killing Machines to prevent future possible algae and ick outbreak.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Due to frequent testing intervals and the higher demand on Carbocalcium, I have taken out my previous large dosing container from storage!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
I forgot you are doing bare bottom now. There seem to be a lot of debate about this.. what made you decide on the barebottom?

Also, how do you like the wave makers - I don't have one but I may consider in the future.. I see most people mounting them horizontally, how's the flow withe current configuration?
Missed your questions last time.

Bare bottom is good as no need to siphon detritus from sand anymore!

The current vertical mounting is Ok but I believe it is not as good as horizontal mounted.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Took some pictures on corals with Orphek lens on my iPhone:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Some SPS:

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Is the support necessary for a 108 gallon or just more of a precaution? I am thinking about getting a 100 gallon in the future and placing it parallel to the floor joists. Bad idea?
Just remember that a 100 gallon tank weighs 1,000 lbs. No residential house floor was designed to hold 1,000 lbs, maybe a 100 lb chair and a 200 lb man sitting in it. Just an FYI. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #117 (Edited)
I am baffled though as under the bath tub there is no special support. A bath tub may hold about 90G water then add the person in it, there will be over 1000 lbs!

*** It may be because for the bath tub it only holds the water for an hour at most each time usually, but for the aquarium the load is always there.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
My 1" Sunburst Monti has grown! The strange thing is beside the regular yellow and orange, it has green and purple as well! Love it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Add two VCA RFG (Random Flow Generators) to create random flows. They work!

Attachments

101 - 120 of 143 Posts