Burlington Ontario

Name: Paradise Pico: 1.5 Gallon Reef

Aquarium: Dymax IQ3 Acrylic Tank
Lighting: Rapid LED PAR30 (2CW,3B)
Circulation: Dymax Power Head 200
Equipment: Marineland StealthPro 10W
Filter-media: Floss, Purigen, Liverock
Tools: Test kit, Hydrometer, Tweezer

Livestock: Neon Pygmy Goby (Eviota pellucida), Pederson Cleaner Shrimp (Periclimenes pedersoni), Bumblebee Snails (Engina mendicaria), Blue Leg Hermit Crabs (Clibanarius tricolor), Feather Dusters (Serpula sp./Bispira sp.), Bristleworms (Polychaete sp.), Starfish (Asterina sp.), Maxi-Carpet Anemone (Stichodactyla tapetum var. "Maxi"), Mini-Carpet Anemone (Stichodactyla tapetum var. "Mini"), Acro Crab (Trapeziidae?), Coco-worm (Protula bispiralis)

Coralstock: Red Chili Sponge (Alcyonium sp.), Branching Black Sun Coral (Tubastraea micranthus), Brown Encrusting Monti (Montipora mollis), Green Palythoa (Protopalythoa Sp.), Zoanthids (Zoanthidea), Green Star Polyp (Clavularia viridis), Finger Leather Coral (Cladiella sp)., Blue Mushroom (Actinodiscus sp.), Orange Velvet Finger SPS (Montipora digitata), Green Acropora (Acropora sp.), Blue Trumpet Coral (Caulastrea furcata "blue-green"), Green Trumpet Coral (Caulastrea furcata "yellow-green"), Blue Xenia (Cespitularia sp.)

Macrostock: Spaghetti algae (Chaetomorpha linum), Spaghetti algae (Chaetomorpha antennina), Spaghetti Ball algae (Cladophora catenata), Deadman's Finger (Codium intricatum), Feather Caulerpa (Caulerpa sertularioides), Sawtooth Caulerpa (Caulerpa serrulata), Green Knife Blade Algae (Caulerpa prolifera), Coin Caulerpa (Caulerpa nummularia), Red Sea Grape (Botryocladia uvaria), Scroll Algae (Padina sp.), Flame Algae (Halymenia sp.), Unknown Algae probably (Rhodymenia holmesii), Uknown Algae probably (Dictyota dichotoma)

All info is accurate to the best of my knowledge and research.

Timeline

01-01-2011: Entry to contest. Photo with empty tank and 'mystery items' posted. PIC
01-02-2011: Tank willed with saltwater. Used Seachem Reef salt & Tap water.
01-03-2011: Rock structure and 3/4" black sandbed added. Used Caribesea live black sand.
01-04-2011: First livestock additions; 3 Bumble bee snails, 1 Sexy Shrimp
01-05-2011: Noticed substantial evaporation. Biocube Hydrometer added to watch salinity.PIC
01-06-2011: First photos of the tank filled posted online.
01-07-2011: New additions include coral and macroalgae frags.
01-08-2011: Heater added. Used a new Hydor Mini 7.5W Heater. PIC
01-10-2011: Added a Digital thermometer to watch new heater's effects.
01-11-2011: Gorgonian coral begins to decline, pods found eating at flesh.
01-17-2011: Replaced Hydor Mini 7.5W Heater with a Marineland Stealth Pro 10W. PIC
01-19-2011: First Video of the tank posted online to Youtube. VID
01-21-2011: Order from MOPS arrived. Used gel glue to secure some frags.
01-22-2011: Replaced Dymax pump with a Minijet 606 to supercharge the flow.
02-10-2011: Sexy shrimp has dissapeared and Hairalgae has quickly appeared.
02-12-2011: Added a small emereld crab intended to limit hair algae spread.
02-17-2011: Halimeda was removed as it had deteriorated. Inadequate calcium?
02-19-2011: Red sea grape macroalgae identified as Botryocladia uvaria. PIC
02-22-2011: Banded Trochus Snail and Dwarf Zebra Hermit Crab (Calcinus laevimanus) added.
02-24-2011: Arrival of new PAR30 LED from RapidLED.com PIC
03-26-2011: Received some macroalgae and some Green Palys from Acer.
03-28-2011: After Fragging the Botryocladia uvaria, it disintegrated to almost nil.
03-29-2011: Temporarily added scarlet hermit, black turbo & a mexican turbo to eat GHA.
03-07-2011: Found that filter media clogs easy w/ upgraded pump & overflows tank.
04-14-2011: Went on a fishstore tour and attended MAST auction in Toronto.
04-15-2011: Added; pedersons shrimp, dusters, cocoworm, anemone & algaes.
04-17-2011: Removed the large rock structure and broke the frags off it.
04-21-2011: Had my 24th Birthday & largely ignored the tank this week.
04-24-2011: Designed a new layout more suited to the small size of tank.
04-26-2011: Algae Scrubbed entire tank from several months of algae growth.
05-04-2011: Switch pump back to the Dymax Power Head 200.
05-06-2011: Finished new layout of the tank, affixed rocks to a buried eggcrate.
05-07-2011: "Planted" the Feather Caulerpa, Green Knife Blade Algae & Coin Caulerpa.
05-08-2011: Bought and added a Neon Pygmy Goby (Eviota pellucida).
05-09-2011: Consolidated all tank photos and posts regarding it, to this new thread.
05-10-2011: Moved my blue Maxi-Carpet anemone from holding tank to this tank.
05-11-2011: Received some frags from Jim in Burlington. Fav is a blue/purple zoo.
05-13-2011: Since taking the pic of the coco worm, its lost & regrown its crown.
05-14-2011: Added in the last rock and attached several of the new frags to it.
05-16-2011: The Neon Pygmy goby has vanished. Possibly hiding, probably anemone prey? 8(
05-18-2011: Found an acro crab in the pink acropora. Guest or Pest? Likely both.

Photos
Click images to view larger.

Videos
Click images to follow link to video.

More videos to come.

·
PEARLING
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Spaceholder 1

·
PEARLING
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spaceholder 2

·
PEARLING
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
05-10-2011: Moved my blue Maxi-Carpet anemone from holding tank to this tank.

It tends to shrink to only 1.5" while under the PAR30 LED, but grows to about 2.5" under less direct & intense lighting. It is blue with neon green edging currently. I hope it gains some more colour intensity, and I hope the shrimp tries to host in it, without becoming it's meal. Photo to come. Bought it on the way driving to the MAST Auction in Toronto, at Oakville Reef Gallery.

·
Decepticon & Panic Monger
3,839 Posts
What sort of feesh is that and where could one get one?

·
PEARLING
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
What sort of feesh is that and where could one get one?
I'm sorry to tell you that I bought the last one after James at Aquarium Services after he showed me it. I wasn't sure what species it was, but thought I recognized it as something I saw while researching potential pico fish.

Turns out it is a Neon Pygmy Goby (Eviota pellucida). So far he's the tortoise to my shrimps "hare" impersonation. Unlike the shrimp which zips around the tank, he tends to sit still, and has been seen hanging near a dense ball of chaeto sitting on the sandbed. Hunting pods no doubt. He measure's only one half inch or so.

·
PEARLING
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
05-11-2011: Received some frags from Jim in Burlington. Fav is a blue/purple zoo.
05-13-2011: Since taking the pic of the coco worm, its lost & regrown its crown.
05-14-2011: Added in the last rock and attached several of the new frags to it.
05-16-2011: The Neon Pygmy goby has vanished. Possibly hiding, probably anemone prey? 8(
05-18-2011: Found an acro crab in the pink acropora. Guest or Pest? Likely both.

Here's a new photo.

Reactions: Ciddian

·
9,074 Posts
Beautiful.... <3

·
PEARLING
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got home from an annual "May Two-Four" camping weekend. Before leaving I did a 90% water change. The tank was set on timed lights, with the light lifted 8" higher than normal, with 3-4 daytime hours less than normal. I did this to prevent any burning of the corals, discourage hair algae spread, and lower evaporation over the 72 hours.

I've come home to find:
-The very nice Green Acro sps is almost destroyed... need some help here.
-Caulerpa serrulata is growing in the front left corner nicely.
-A 30% increase in hair algae amount in the tank (despite the addition of a hermit crab 72 hours ago)
-The coco worm is regenerated it's crown, though a bit small.
-The GSP Green Star Polyp is now opening fully.
-The pink sps is now got 100% polyp extension.

·
PEARLING
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh my gosh, I've been so busy since the long weekend. Just non stop. So, just a quick post to say thanks to...

Sunstar! Who helped me so much in the build of my new DIY Auto Topoff! No more manual topping up the tank from evaporation is so great! Thank you.

Kylel! Who shared his design of a DIY fixture which I built two weekends ago! Thanks also to the dude who left a microphone stand at my home after the last Kegger i had here. I used it as the stand/trunk of the light.

The guys at Big Als who sold me a gold eye pygmy goby.

Reactions: Ciddian

·
re-Planted
1,312 Posts
I want to see these ATO's. after the contest is over please reveal your secrets!! lol

·
Decepticon & Panic Monger
3,839 Posts
I can show you them. I need to build a second one for my 10 gallon

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oh my gosh, I've been so busy since the long weekend. Just non stop. So, just a quick post to say thanks to...

Sunstar! Who helped me so much in the build of my new DIY Auto Topoff! No more manual topping up the tank from evaporation is so great! Thank you.

Kylel! Who shared his design of a DIY fixture which I built two weekends ago! Thanks also to the dude who left a microphone stand at my home after the last Kegger i had here. I used it as the stand/trunk of the light.

The guys at Big Als who sold me a gold eye pygmy goby.
You're welcome Will. Glad to hear you got it built! Microphone stand you say? lol, this i gotta see :)

·
PEARLING
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kyle, Pics of the light soon.

I've been so terribly busy, I haven't had enough time and attention for the tank during the most critical time of contest. Things are looking rough right now. :(

·
PEARLING
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
despite some trouble, it looks pretty good. The LED are horrendous for showing true colour though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts