GTA Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
gallantly streaming
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I decided i'd let you all have a peek into my other hobby ...which, of course, was a direct result of being in this hobby :) ...it's funny how things work out, eh? ...doing this also helps me kill time while my new display cycles ;) Bayinaung also gave me the go ahead, so I can't argue with that

I took up SCUBA diving years back on a trip to Australia....got my PADI Open Water while diving the Great Barrier Reef there. Years later, on my second trip to the Philippines, I was successfully certified as an Advanced Open Water diver.....woot!

The funny thing is I can't really swim all that well.....well, I suck. But, put me underwater with SCUBA and this is what you get:

Easter Island

moi next to a 1000 year old porites lobata colony (the predominate coral on these reefs)

extremely nutrient poor water = some of the best visibility in the world

school of endemic Easter Island butterflyfish

yellow p. verrucosa....this was one of only two specimens from this genus I encountered on all my dives ...extremely rare on this reef (the other was baby blue)

(not a real Moai....was sunk here for the movie "Rapa Nui")

At the top of the image is the Easter Island Rainbow wrasse (coris debueni), which is endemic to the island and is probably the rarest coris wrasse in the world.

huge banana wrasse!

1000+ year old porites lobata colony

endemic Easter Island damsel...gorgeous

about $15-$20k worth of fish in this shot. Hota Matu'a pygmy angels, femininus wrasses.....i'm pretty sure I pissed myself when I saw these guys

supposed Spanish ghaleon anchor

ill post more pics later

·
gallantly streaming
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you're welcome :) if you click a photo it'll take you to my Flickr page with the rest of the pics from the set.

This was the first time using my SLR.....still have lots to learn ;)

·
Reefing is my meth
1,862 Posts
Awesome pic and great quality. Makes me want to dive there. My fiancée and I got our open water last year and did our first saltwater open water dive in punta Cana in January and it was awesome. Tons of life. Nothing as clear and amazing as these pics. Absolutely stunning an well done

·
gallantly streaming
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good for you :) i've never dived in the Caribbean....but this year I have to attend two weddings - one in Jamaica and the other in Costa Rica. If anyone can recommend dive sites for either place, id really appreciate it!

·
Reefing is my meth
1,862 Posts
good for you :) i've never dived in the Caribbean....but this year I have to attend two weddings - one in Jamaica and the other in Costa Rica. If anyone can recommend dive sites for either place, id really appreciate it!
Trip advisor is prob your best bet. But from what I've heard is that the west coast of Jamaica has some great spots.

·
gallantly streaming
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmm...I think ill be in Ocho Rios, but ill do my best to get out to that side.

time for more pics :)

Komodo National Park, Flores, Indonesia

manta rays!

notice the diver holding on to the rock? we're diving in the Flores Sea, a junction between the Indian and Pacific Oceans that sees tremendous tidal surges. We had to add extra weights to our belt for these dives otherwise we'd be tossed around in the current. Our dive master mentioned 2 people had died on dives in the past 3 years as a result of not being able to "hold on"

hawksbill turtle

sweetlips

resting white tips

adult mappa puffer....prolly the most beautiful puffer in the ocean, imo

·
gallantly streaming
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Wow!😮 absolutely stunning! Totally jealous. Lol
you have no idea, matt. I got to Flores...paid for my dive package not knowing anything about what I would be seeing apart from coral and fish.....next thing, the DM was "OK our first dive tomorrow will be with the mantas" I was like....NO WAY! :eek: I couldn't sleep I was sooo excited!

·
Reefing is my meth
1,862 Posts

you have no idea, matt. I got to Flores...paid for my dive package not knowing anything about what I would be seeing apart from coral and fish.....next thing, the DM was "OK our first dive tomorrow will be with the mantas" I was like....NO WAY! :eek: I couldn't sleep I was sooo excited!
Lol ya I don't doubt it! That's badass. Those things are huge! The one thing id love to do is dive with sharks. Might regret it at the time but is something is still love to do. Lol Either way those dive locations you've been at are unbelievable. The camera work helps too. You were using an slr? What kind of casing were you using? And what kind of depths were you at?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Thanks for sharing these pictures very nice and no better feeling in the world that swim with hundreds of fishes surrounded by corals:D.

·
gallantly streaming
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's pics like these that make me happy knowing that there are still areas in the ocean that are untouched.
yep...it is a very humbling experience to be there surrounded by such natural beauty.

Lol ya I don't doubt it! That's badass. Those things are huge! The one thing id love to do is dive with sharks. Might regret it at the time but is something is still love to do. Lol Either way those dive locations you've been at are unbelievable. The camera work helps too. You were using an slr? What kind of casing were you using? And what kind of depths were you at?
I use a Nikon SLR exclusively for my dives now (with an Ikelite housing and Ikelite DS125 strobe) ...but in the past I used my old point and shoots and whatever the dive operator had available for rent (which usually means sometimes good or sometimes totally crap cameras)

Depths are usually less than 20m for proper reef shots...but most of mine are within 10m of the surface.

On my Easter Island dive I went down to 59m.....it was unbelievable to hit that depth and look up and see other divers at 20m

Thanks for sharing these pictures very nice and no better feeling in the world that swim with hundreds of fishes surrounded by corals:D.
thanks :) one of my other hobbies is bonsai ... I get the same feeling when I hike through Carolinian forests here in Ontario or far off rainforests in Australia and Borneo

·
gallantly streaming
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
time for more pics to get your Friday started right :)

Panglao & Balicasag Islands, Philippines

green turtle with lazy remora

feather star ...I saw so many on these dives

Moorish Idol

lots of soft coral like these around

1 - 20 of 158 Posts