·
gallantly streaming
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
quick update!

sarcophyton and acro

carnation coral

s. recta

PATWA'S ULTRA LE RR BSF FC FB BRC AQSD WWC YELLOW TIP MONSTER PURPLE HAZE DRAGON ACRO, boyeeeeeee!

Huge Clown Tang making a run for it (very shallow waters - maybe 5-6' max)

a. gemmifera??

encrusting monti

another great day on one of the greatest reefs in the world!

·
gallantly streaming
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
update...

fire coral (millepora sp) smack in the middle of two acros

platygyras

Huge clown tang

·
gallantly streaming
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Nice I love the last piece!!!! Keep them coming
that particular one (pink with green base) was all over the place!

Great pics Z
Always a pleasure to view your great pics !
Sam
thanks!

More Great Barrier Reef pics (still have a pile to go through)!

find the clown tang...

another clown tang

There's a reason why you don't see Clown Tangs in home reefs. More so, there's a reason why Clown Tangs have such a high mortality rate in captivity - their needs preclude the average reefer (or above-average reefer if you think you're a superstar ;)) from owning one coz, simply, we cannot provide an environment where it will grow and thrive.

Do us a favour, tell your LFS to stop bringing this fish in. It lives and feeds in the highly oxygenated and turbulent top tiers of the reef...that fact alone tells us our home reefs will not cut it.

pocillopora sp...quite common on the GBR

Moorish Idol

White-tip reef shark....this is the first shark I ever saw in person. I tried to swim after it but it was waaay too fast lol

looks like boulder coral (diploastrea sp.)

can't beat these Aussie sunsets!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
so I decided i'd let you all have a peek into my other hobby ...which, of course, was a direct result of being in this hobby :) ...it's funny how things work out, eh? ...doing this also helps me kill time while my new display cycles ;) Bayinaung also gave me the go ahead, so I can't argue with that

I took up SCUBA diving years back on a trip to Australia....got my PADI Open Water while diving the Great Barrier Reef there. Years later, on my second trip to the Philippines, I was successfully certified as an Advanced Open Water diver.....woot!

The funny thing is I can't really swim all that well.....well, I suck. But, put me underwater with SCUBA and this is what you get:

Easter Island

moi next to a 1000 year old porites lobata colony (the predominate coral on these reefs)

extremely nutrient poor water = some of the best visibility in the world

school of endemic Easter Island butterflyfish

yellow p. verrucosa....this was one of only two specimens from this genus I encountered on all my dives ...extremely rare on this reef (the other was baby blue)

(not a real Moai....was sunk here for the movie "Rapa Nui")

At the top of the image is the Easter Island Rainbow wrasse (coris debueni), which is endemic to the island and is probably the rarest coris wrasse in the world.

huge banana wrasse!

1000+ year old porites lobata colony

endemic Easter Island damsel...gorgeous

about $15-$20k worth of fish in this shot. Hota Matu'a pygmy angels, femininus wrasses.....i'm pretty sure I pissed myself when I saw these guys

supposed Spanish ghaleon anchor

ill post more pics later
just one word STUNNING pics my friend...

·
gallantly streaming
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
thanks! :)

(I'm gonna have to re-process those Easter Island pics and get more of that blue haze removed).

·
gallantly streaming
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Heading back to South America this week ...and ending it all with a diving trip to the Galapagos Islands. Hopefully i'll have some nice shots of the reefs and hammerheads in the area to share with you all down the road! :)

in the meantime, here's more of the GBR!

s. elegans growing on top of porites

what TRUE yellow leathers should look like! s. elegans

such variety

maybe caulastrea? or some bastard colony of l. hemprichii??

gorgeous blue stag!

acan hillae or acan bowerbanki...??

symphyllia showing that sarcophyton who's the boss

colony of platygyra growing amongst the softies

Milln Reef from the liveaboard dive boat

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Wow just wow Patwa we really appreciate you sharing these amazing shots with us really feel as if we r diving with u

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
gallantly streaming
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
thanks! I appreciate it.

·
gallantly streaming
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
woah....totally forgot about this thread. I promise to update it soon. Still many photos to post!

also just got back from Belize a few weeks ago ....dove the Great Blue Hole, made famous by Cousteau ...'twas a great blue disappointment, imo, but still a cool dive.

·
OK, just 1 more plant
582 Posts
also just got back from Belize a few weeks ago ....dove the Great Blue Hole, made famous by Cousteau ...'twas a great blue disappointment, imo, but still a cool dive.
Belize is where I did my first dives after being certified years ago. It was a great location. I skipped the Blue Hole though. Aside from it not being a great idea for a newly minted diver, I heard there wasn't much to see and the boat ride to it was long.

Was it disappointing because it was just a deep, dark dive i.e. not much in the way of life?

121 - 140 of 158 Posts