GTA Aquarium Forums banner

141 - 158 of 158 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Zach, your problem is that you started your diving career with the some of the best places to dive, so good that pretty much anywhere is difficult to live up to them. You're left with the most remote (often expensive) places to go. I to a certain extent have the same problem. Lembeh never lets me down. And I will doing the Birds head seascape for my next trip, but who knows when that will be.

·
gallantly streaming
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Belize is where I did my first dives after being certified years ago. It was a great location. I skipped the Blue Hole though. Aside from it not being a great idea for a newly minted diver, I heard there wasn't much to see and the boat ride to it was long.

Was it disappointing because it was just a deep, dark dive i.e. not much in the way of life?
Don't get me wrong, it was a good dive, and one I probably won't forget for a while. The issue was that it was a stormy day, and the water was choppy as wind speeds kicked up and died down from hour to hour. As a result, the waters in and around Lighthouse Atoll (where the GBH is located) was fairly turbid, which meant for poor visibility. This was doubly bad in my case as I dive with a full SLR camera rig, with strobe.

Good thing we had a marine cinematographer on our dive, though....as soon as I realized my photos wouldn't turn out as good as I had hoped, I bought his dive video. I'll post it later tonight as YouTube is blocked at work. Also didn't see much life at all....but that's not what makes the GBH famous - I was there for the massive (and I mean MASSIVE!!!) stalactites and the fact it was one helluva deep dive into a massive collapsed cave (my dive computer recorded my max depth at 43.5m).

It's not for newbie divers, you're absolutely right.

And yes, the trek out to the reef was about 2.5 hours, but honestly, it was a breeze :) loved it. I booked with the best dive shop on Ambergris Caye, which also had the largest, fastest and most modern dive boat (so they claim lol). The day before I also dove Turneffe Reef (about 2 hours away), which is also one of the very few premiere dive spots in Belize (it's a UNESCO site). The local dives I did around Ambergris Caye (5 to 10 mins offshore, by skiff) as a warmup to GBH and Turneffe were "meh" not much to write home about, except for lots of fat nurse sharks haha

C'mon Zach ... pictures, pictures, pictures :D
:p

Zach, your problem is that you started your diving career with the some of the best places to dive, so good that pretty much anywhere is difficult to live up to them. You're left with the most remote (often expensive) places to go. I to a certain extent have the same problem. Lembeh never lets me down. And I will doing the Birds head seascape for my next trip, but who knows when that will be.
Yeah, I hear ya #firstworldproblems :) I've dived a bunch of top 10 places but there's still so much more I want to see and so much more I KNOW will just blow my mind just as much as any other place i've dived to date (i'm easy to impress).

My dream list, as of right now, includes:

Okinawa
Gulf of Oman/Red Sea
Iceland
Zanzibar

Late this year or very early 2018 i'm heading back to the Indo-Pacific: East Timor, Bird's Head/Rajah Ampat and Philippines. For now i'm completely done with the Caribbean.... too many whips, fans and gorgonians.....not enough diversity in coral and fish ;)

Gimme a holla when/if you book Birds Head.

·
gallantly streaming
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #145 (Edited)
Here are the videos from my recent dive trip to Belize.

Half Moon Wall was one of the best dives i've ever done in the Caribbean, hands down....just amazing as far as Caribbean reefs go. I remember yelling 'woohoo' through my reg when I saw the numerous large Nassau groupers and fat Caribbean reef sharks lol

...and as mentioned before, the Great Blue Hole was a bit underwhelming due to the inclement weather, but still quite unique and unforgettable.

Both sites are part of the Belize Barrier Reef, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Great Blue Hole

Half Moon Wall

enjoy

PS...I tried to embed the vids in this post but it seems this flavour of vBulletin doesn't have the capability, or i'm missing something...sorry

·
Registered
753 Posts
Hah ... I see Zach all over the Great Blue Hole video ... with his strobe :D

Almost at the end of the Half Moon Wall (after dive) everyone lifted their arms above & side of chests doing this weird "finger wiggling" motion up above the tree top platform? What up with that? :confused:

·
gallantly streaming
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Awesome Congrats...so among all the divers which one were u...
i'm the one with the sculpted body of Adonis, bald head, and the bigass camera with large strobe (a strobe is the term for the underwwater camera flash system)

Almost at the end of the Half Moon Wall (after dive) everyone lifted their arms above & side of chests doing this weird "finger wiggling" motion up above the tree top platform? What up with that? :confused:
haha that was us showing our "boobs" :)

The tree top platform was to allow us to view the nesting red-footed booby birds. The only other place you can find these birds in great numbers is the Galapagos Islands.

z

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
i'm the one with the sculpted body of Adonis, bald head, and the bigass camera with large strobe (a strobe is the term for the underwwater camera flash system)
got it i did thought first it was probably you lol...great work with the camera by the way.

·
Registered
454 Posts
This thread is way overdue for an update. Anything new to share?

·
The NeM Lady
791 Posts
John Pennekamp coral reef Key Largo

Attachments

·
gallantly streaming
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
John Pennekamp coral reef Key Largo
nice pics, Letigrama. Looks like it was turbid down where you were....were these taken after a storm or is that the usual clarity there?

And you dive with your bracelet, and ring eh? Flashy and fashionable! Hopefully you don't get a hungry big fish going after the sparkling reflection from your ring...i've heard stories! :)

·
gallantly streaming
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
OK, MORE DIVE PICS!

let's finish up Australia/Great Barrier Reef...then we can get onto some of my other photo sets

stylophora (extreme crop)

acro tables!

favia and toadstool

100% real colour...w/ minor touch-ups. Cornbred doesn't need to jack up the colours on this, but you know he will.

moseleya sp.

·
gallantly streaming
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
t. crocea clam (?) completely embedded in rock

a. loripes? (acro nerds: help with this ID and any other acropora you see, please)

gorgeous platygyra sp

baby blue favia sp.

orange-coloured acropora

pink pocillopora sp.

was thinking a. abratonoides, but maybe not

favia being overrun by fire coral (millepora sp.)

t. maxima, half-embedded in rock

yep, that's a super red acro!

huge colony of lobophyllia sp.

amazingly yellow colonies of s. elegans (more yellow than Tonga and Fiji yellow toadstools)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Awesome! Now just put these up on a big screen, put my gear on, and pretend I'm diving, lol.

141 - 158 of 158 Posts