GTA Aquarium Forums banner
221 - 240 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
Thanks for your quick response. The AquaMedic 1000 reactor is the only one I've seen but it seems to have some performance issues. Is that my best bet?
I would try DIYing one myself first before looking to commercial solutions.

That being said, I do not have experience with commercial reactors.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Found a place in the east for you east Scarborough / Durham folks. I haven't had a chance to visit them so this is just an FYI post. They refill CO2 cylinders for $2 per pound. They also perform hydrostatic testing but I didn't ask for pricing for this service. Typical of many places they have M-F hours; I was advised to call in advance to see if the guy is filling tanks on the day I want to go in. They will fill on the spot 'if' the guy is available. Here are the details:

http://www.premiumfireprotection.ca/en/

From the website:

1773 Bayly Street
Unit #10
Pickering, ON
L1W 2Y7
905-239-2721

Store Hours
Monday - Thursday: 7:30AM - 5:00PM
Friday: 7:30AM - 1:00PM

·
Registered
159 Posts
Quality pre-built pressurized CO2 setups do exist, however. Rex Grigg, Orlando (who runs Green Leaf Aquariums) and Mike/Sergio (who run SuMo) all have excellent pre-built pressurized CO2 setups. Here are their respective websites:

http://www.bestaquariumregulator.com/index.htm
http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/
http://sumoregulator.com/
Looks like only the 2nd website is running right now. Their paintball regulator looks pretty, and price is pretty, too ($150). I might just get this one. Keep reading ....

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
Looks like only the 2nd website is running right now. Their paintball regulator looks pretty, and price is pretty, too ($150). I might just get this one. Keep reading ....
Yes, it looks like Rex Grigg has retired due to some health problems he has been having.

I am not sure what happened with Mike and Sergio...

Orlando is still doing well though :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Anthony,

When connecting the CO2 hose to the barb on the regulator or an external reactor do you normally use a clamp to secure it? It seems to have an OD of 1/4". It doesn't seem easy to find a clamp that size.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
Anthony,

When connecting the CO2 hose to the barb on the regulator or an external reactor do you normally use a clamp to secure it? It seems to have an OD of 1/4". It doesn't seem easy to find a clamp that size.

Thanks.
Hose clamps work fine. Zip ties will do in a pinch.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hey darkblade just wanted to help some others out if they are looking for new solenoids.

I have enquired a place near York Uni called TRC and they sell the SMC solenoid valve for $40.30+tax. Pretty reasonable price. It was recommended on a build forum here is the link of the valve people could use:

http://www.smcpneumatics.com/VDW21-6F-1-01N.html

The picture is a 3way but the valve is only 2way. you can also change the type you want just look at the pdf guide to decipher what it means and if you want to change anything like the voltage or coil style of it.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
Hey darkblade just wanted to help some others out if they are looking for new solenoids.

I have enquired a place near York Uni called TRC and they sell the SMC solenoid valve for $40.30+tax. Pretty reasonable price. It was recommended on a build forum here is the link of the valve people could use:

http://www.smcpneumatics.com/VDW21-6F-1-01N.html

The picture is a 3way but the valve is only 2way. you can also change the type you want just look at the pdf guide to decipher what it means and if you want to change anything like the voltage or coil style of it.
Great information!

thanks xriddler, I also want to contribute something:)

I found a CO2 Cylinder seller not on your list that was able to beat any prices I could find for 2.5lbs and 5lbs cylinders.

Certified Cylinder Service Inc.
www.certifiedcylinder.ca
Do you have a price for the cylinders? I did not seem to find it on their webpage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great information!

Do you have a price for the cylinders? I did not seem to find it on their webpage.
I was quoted:
2.5lbs for $70 and 5lbs for $85 but they did knock a few bucks off when I showed them one of their old Kijiji ads which listed slightly lower prices so there may be some flexibility.
Cylinders were brand new and empty.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
I was quoted:
2.5lbs for $70 and 5lbs for $85 but they did knock a few bucks off when I showed them one of their old Kijiji ads which listed slightly lower prices so there may be some flexibility.
Cylinders were brand new and empty.
Interesting; I purchased a 10 pound cylinder from Norwood for $75.

Perhaps there is less demand for 2.5 and 5 pound cylinders, explaining the higher price.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Interesting; I purchased a 10 pound cylinder from Norwood for $75.

Perhaps there is less demand for 2.5 and 5 pound cylinders, explaining the higher price.
Norwood quoted me around ~$85 for 5 pound, and they don't carry 2.5 pound. The reason I kept looking was that they were out of stock and because I was really interesting in 2.5 which I could not find anywhere.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Valuable info.

Just curious ...has anyone compared the cost/quality of buying individual units and setting up a CO2 system to buying "CO2 kits" sold by stores.

Thanks

ame

·
Registered
737 Posts
Depends how impatient one gets as there are many deals on ebay just have to look really hard. Here is a basic guideline i followed.

A used dual stage regulator should be about $100-125 (shipping included) I wouldnt go any higher for this unless the reg is brand spanking new
Metering valves $50-75 with shipping included (depends if you can find a good deal)
Solenoids $50-100 (depends if used of new)
Pipe fittings is $30-$50 (depends brass or stainless steel)
CGA-320 is $15 for brass and $30+ for Stainless or chrome plated.
DC Adapter for the solenoid i have to check but from what i heard think it its about $20
Bubble counter is $15-20
Co2 resistance tubing is about $3-5

When you buy a unit those are usually single stage regulators which dont prevent end of stage dump.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
As xriddler mentioned, prices of CO2 builds can vary greatly, depending on how patient you are waiting for good deals to come along.

For comparison, I was fairly patient, and started pressurized CO2 well before it was as popular as it is today, and managed to build my entire setup, including a 10 pound CO2 cylinder, for less than $200.

221 - 240 of 259 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.