GTA Aquarium Forums banner

Salt Q

802 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  janos1 
#1 ·
Hi to all.Would like to ask some help with Salt.Each end every year has new favor,like to know what is the best salt now,2017.Thank you for your time and help

#2 ·
IMHO/E, there is no "best salt". Its what works best for you and predictable within your maintenance and dosing regimen. I've used TM/TMP since 1995 and the past year and a bit, the price @$160/bucket (retail) is becoming unjustifiable vs other salts that perform just as well.

The OCD in me like the continuity of empty buckets, they seal well, lids are easy to close/open, stack compactly, wide enough to brine a 24lb turkey, etc, etc, etc.

Other salts I presently use with various clients are:
- Seachem AquaVitro Salinity
- RedSea/RedSea Pro
- Instant Ocean
- Reef Crystals
- Kent Reef
- Fritz RPM

Coral growth and "happiness" are the same. What differs is the amount of scoops with an empty NLS fish food container for a 30 or 50gal RM Brute trash can to get a salinity of 1.025.

Switching from one salt brand to another for water changes, not a problem as it has been ingrained in us to change slowly. Honestly, parameters are relatively close from one brand to another these days. If the regular brand X you use is out of of stock, test and adjust as required with brand Y.

Consistency, being obsrevant and proactive is key to being successful. Everyone aspires to have the Ultimate Reef aquarium. No two systems are the same nor is the path to get there. The brand of salt one uses, IMHO, is the least important factor in a successful marine system.

#8 ·
IMHO/E, there is no "best salt". Its what works best for you and predictable within your maintenance and dosing regimen. I've used TM/TMP since 1995 and the past year and a bit, the price @$160/bucket (retail) is becoming unjustifiable vs other salts that perform just as well.

The OCD in me like the continuity of empty buckets, they seal well, lids are easy to close/open, stack compactly, wide enough to brine a 24lb turkey, etc, etc, etc.

Other salts I presently use with various clients are:
- Seachem AquaVitro Salinity
- RedSea/RedSea Pro
- Instant Ocean
- Reef Crystals
- Kent Reef
- Fritz RPM

Coral growth and "happiness" are the same. What differs is the amount of scoops with an empty NLS fish food container for a 30 or 50gal RM Brute trash can to get a salinity of 1.025.

Switching from one salt brand to another for water changes, not a problem as it has been ingrained in us to change slowly. Honestly, parameters are relatively close from one brand to another these days. If the regular brand X you use is out of of stock, test and adjust as required with brand Y.

Consistency, being obsrevant and proactive is key to being successful. Everyone aspires to have the Ultimate Reef aquarium. No two systems are the same nor is the path to get there. The brand of salt one uses, IMHO, is the least important factor in a successful marine system.
what do you think of the fritz.ive been looking for it ,who keeps it in stock

#4 ·
Went from years of TMP to AF. WTAC is right, TMP is great salt but the price has gotten out of hand :eek: TMP always left a brown grunge in my mixing container, after a month or two unless I drained it completely. AF on the other hand is priced reasonably and mixes very clean and doesn't foul my vat. AF has been a PITA to get in 2016 but March has taken on the full line so I think that should fix that issue :D

#9 ·
Re: Fritz RPM. I like lit. Mixes clean and clears fast. Ca is in the 400-425 and Mg 1400-1450. The kH is a tad low in a few boxes @7.5dKh but usually in the 8.5dkH. No biggee.

Nobody in Canada carries it AFAIK, but a colleague and I bought in a pallette from the US for our clients.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.