GTA Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Formerly GuppyLove :)
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit: i just noticed the other day how blurry my photos looked! I usually surf on my cellphone so on there they looked ok but when I saw on my pc they werent too good , so now all my pics will be taken with my digital camera, page 4 of my thread is where those pics start after my FTS for february, sorry bout that!

Starting out My 5.5G Nano Softwater Shrimpscape!
I plan on doing this tank on a tight budget, but mainly it is a great experiment for Me since I have never used "soil" substrate before... and never had low PH before either...so a good learning experience for Me with softwater, and keeping shrimps like Crystal Red which I didnt have so much luck with the first time I tried keeping them, probably the water was too hard.

This is what I have so far:
Tank: 5.5 Gallon with glass lid
Substrate: Fluval Ebi Shrimp Stratum
Filter: AC30 with some cycled media in it
Heater: submersable adjustable 25watt
Lighting: I have a choice of either an old used T8 15watt fluorescent tube fixture that I got for free, or a 13watt PC desk lamp fixture.... I will see which works best in the coming months...
Flora: I have some plants that I could trim from My other tanks, but I plan on covering a few rocks with pellia which I will be picking up from another forum member, but I havent really decided yet...
Fauna: I plan on keeping a softwater shrimp type in this tank... possibly Crystal Red shrimp, or I may try some of My Orange Eye Blue Tiger shrimp in this tank... not decided yet...
Decoration: I may try some small driftwood, and I also bought a cute Fluval Ebi Shrimp tree trunk that is good for breeding and can easily be covered with moss/pellia etc., and I have a nice rock from Menagerie that I was thinking of breaking into a smaller piece...

DAY 1-Contest Start:

Today I drained the tank to start My contest tank. Gave the tank a light cleaning. I then rinsed the new Fluval Ebi Shrimp Stratum out a bit in a large bowl and added it to My tank. I filled up the tank, being careful not to disturb the substrate too much... boy was it ever cloudy! But once I put the filter on and had it running for an hour I could see a big improvement in the cloudyness. Added My heater as well and set it to 76 degrees.
My PH was 7.6 before the substrate so I will be using My test kit tomorrow and the next few days to check the ph/kh/gh.

Starting to clear up slowly

Pics to come!

·
Decepticon & Panic Monger
3,839 Posts
I say orange eyed blue tigers sound really nice. Now I can sing, and we call it guppy love :3 I am eager to see how this turns out. I have a love for planted tanks. One of these days I will set my 30 gallon up again with all the bells and whistles and do it right.

·
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I think I have decided on OEBTs for this tank, since I wanted to try them in the fluval substrate...
I sing that song too lol ;)

Today the tanks cloudyness has totally disappeared! i threw in a few spare plants but they are not the plants I plan on keeping in the tank. I had a visit with Jamesren to buy some nice pellia that I am attaching to a rock right now :)

·
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just tested my water- yesterday it was at 7.6 ph and now it is somewhere between 6.6-6.8 ph!
Ill test the ph again tomorrow and also test the gh and kh

·
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Today I am slowly drip acclimating an Oebt shrimp for this tank, I am only trying one for now as kind of a test to see if they prefer this lower ph...

The cat finds this process interesting :)

·
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh the cat is just testing the water ;)

Well the shrimp was acclimated and is now in the tank, he seems to be doing fine with the lower Ph but I will wait and see before adding any more in there....

·
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tested My 5.5G tank fully tonight and this is what I got :
PH 6.4-6.6
KH 1(The test should turn from blue to yellow, but the first drop in the test it was yellow, never saw blue so I guess that means 1) any advice appreciated on that...:)
GH 5
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 20-40 ppm
Temp 72
Seems everything is good in there so far :)

·
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the 4kg Fluval Ebi Stratum bag so Id have extra for topups etc
I used maybe a little less than half the bag Id say... I love how it looks but will be "interesting" to clean lol

Now I need to figure out if I need RO water/tap water mix for water changes(and how to figure out what mix% to make, and where to find/what kind of RO to use)or if I can simply use just tap water...

·
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well the Orange Eye Blue tiger didnt seem to like the tank so much, looked a bit stressed so I took him out yesterday and returned him to his original tank....Im getting some CRS for this tank next weekend and I am sure they will love the parameters :)
Plus the tiger is a darker blue and he was really hard to find in the tank with the darker fluval stratum, so some CRS should stand out really nice with their white/red colors...
The shrimp substrate is really neat- like tiny balls of chocolate....
gonna go for a visit to menagerie to get some ideas for plants, maybe some driftwood... not too sure yet how I want to scape the tank

·
Registered
79 Posts
well the Orange Eye Blue tiger didnt seem to like the tank so much, looked a bit stressed so I took him out yesterday and returned him to his original tank....Im getting some CRS for this tank next weekend and I am sure they will love the parameters :)
Plus the tiger is a darker blue and he was really hard to find in the tank with the darker fluval stratum, so some CRS should stand out really nice with their white/red colors...
The shrimp substrate is really neat- like tiny balls of chocolate....
gonna go for a visit to menagerie to get some ideas for plants, maybe some driftwood... not too sure yet how I want to scape the tank
Looks like the tank is coming together very nicely, I think the CRS will definitely give you that pop your looking for.

Just to give ya the heads up.
At Menagerie we will be getting a nice LARGE Plant shipment this Thursday.

Cheers and I look forward to watching the tank progress

·
Aquascape for life
1,404 Posts
Looks like the tank is coming together very nicely, I think the CRS will definitely give you that pop your looking for.

damn I'm coming over on Friday Matt.:D (sry for derailing Shrimpie)

·
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

awesome thanks for the heads up! Ill be in this weekend to check out the plants!

·
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did a 50% water change today, my nitrates are reading 20-40 ppm, and theres no fauna in the tank yet, maybe because I had fish in that tank before i changed out the substrate?
Anyhow ill test my water tonight and maybe need to do another WC tomorrow, before I get my crs this weekend ....

·
9,076 Posts
Tank looked lovely when I saw it! Haha cuute kitter too! <3

Looking forward to watching the tanks progress!

·
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Ciddian! :)
Yes thats one of My cats that was hiding in the closet when you came by heheh

·
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well lets see, i did a couple of 40-50% water changes on thurs/friday because my nitrates were a bit high- not sure how that happened lol but i suspect it was from the fish that were formerly in that tank.
Then let the tank sit for a day to stabilize before adding my new shrimps...
I got some nice Hinomaru ss shrimps and drip acclimated them for a couple hours, and added them to the tank... They are all swimming around and look happy :) they seem to really like that fluval shrimp soil lol ill post pics of that later
I took a visit to Menagerie also and got a real nice piece of driftwood, i think they said it was mopani but ill have to check on that with them again to be sure....lots of nice knarls in the wood :) i might try wedging some marimo moss balls in the driftwood, rather than tying moss to it, so that cleaning the driftwood would be easier when it needs it. I have to go back this week to check on a light for my 5 gallon anyways, so ill check out the plants then also...
So now i have the driftwood soaking in a bucket, and plan on giving it a good boiling/scrubbing too b4 adding it to the tank...
As for my plants in the tank i am still kind of undecided of what i want lol

·
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Doing My first water change with shrimp in the tank now....im dripping the water into the tank with an airhose and small container at one drip/per second .... Shrimps seem fine and are still active. :)

Also bought a new big magnifying glass at the dollar store for really seeing the shrimps up close :)

·
9,076 Posts
Oooohh good for macro pics too!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts