GTA Aquarium Forums banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Timing is everything - Stealth heaters

so i messaged josh and got this as a reply

The Stealth and Stealth Pro - 100 to 300 watt style heaters are currently under quality review and we have placed a stop sale on them. No recall has been issued on these heaters. If you are happy with the performance of your current heater, by all means you may keep it. It is still covered by the lifetime warranty of the product. To take advantage of the warranty, please mail in the non-working unit and a brief description of the problem. Our address is UPG, at 3001 Commerce Dr., Blacksburg, VA 24060. Attention warranty claims. Once received and verified defective, a replacement of same wattage will be sent. Please include your, name, address, and phone number. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. If you have any questions, please let us know or call 1-800-338-4896.

Sincerely,

United Pet Group

so i went to my LFS and found that they had in fact issued a recall and i should bring them in immediately, unfortunately they were all out of jagers so i placed a hold on 2. Not surprisingly plenty of visa-therms left i guess people dont like being lied to as much as i dont.
I guess I hit the timing just right. I e-mailed them at the start of the recall and they couldn't do enough for me. Subsequently I e-mailed Josh to let him know that I was not impressed with the visa-therm heater for my big tank. I am still waiting for a reply. I have a Eheim 2126 with internal heater on order and when it arrives I will be ditching the visa therm and the marineland filters. I am getting tired of the constant noise that the impellers make. I also find the cost of replacement impellers offensive.

At the last midnight madness I purchased a new 400 and 280. Not so much for the filters but replacement parts. Surprise for me they have changed the impellers in both units and they don't work in the older models. Needless to say I am no longer a marineland fan. I have 8 tanks and bit by bit as the money is there I am going to replace all the marineland filters with something that has cost reasonable parts and doesn't sound like a 747 taking off within two months. Too bad because they used to make a decent product.

Judi

·
Registered
625 Posts
yea its sad when a major brand decides to sell out, the price rarely goes down while quality takes a nose dive. I dont think i will be buying any more of their products, the hobby is expensive enough without these guys selling crap.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Official recall of all Stealth and Stealth Pro 2004 to present

I got a letter today from United Pet saying that they are doing a voluntary recall of all Stealth and Stealth Pro heaters. My 50 Watt model is included.
I Googled for this and found http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml11/11202.html which is almost identical in content to the letter I received.

I called the number given. They said that they'd immediately send me a replacement Visitherm (glass) heater. Once I received the replacement I am supposed to call them again to arrange pick up my old heaters (I have 2 of these of which one was already replaced due to warranty claim).

·
Registered
117 Posts
all stealth heaters

I got a letter today from United Pet saying that they are doing a voluntary recall of all Stealth and Stealth Pro heaters. My 50 Watt model is included.
I Googled for this and found http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml11/11202.html which is almost identical in content to the letter I received.

I called the number given. They said that they'd immediately send me a replacement Visitherm (glass) heater. Once I received the replacement I am supposed to call them again to arrange pick up my old heaters (I have 2 of these of which one was already replaced due to warranty claim).
Thanks for the info on the smaller wattage heaters. These guys are really having a bad year.

·
Premium Member
7,627 Posts
Has anybody actually had the older model stealths (not Pro) fail on them? I have like 10 of the smaller ones (100w and under) and never had any issues with them ever. I can't say the same about any other brand of heater (including Jager/Eheim).

Has anybody tried returning their really old visitherms? Maybe I'll give it a shot sometime. I think I saw 5 or 6 of them in a box the other day...

·
Registered
117 Posts
stealth heaters

Has anybody actually had the older model stealths (not Pro) fail on them? I have like 10 of the smaller ones (100w and under) and never had any issues with them ever. I can't say the same about any other brand of heater (including Jager/Eheim).

Has anybody tried returning their really old visitherms? Maybe I'll give it a shot sometime. I think I saw 5 or 6 of them in a box the other day...
I had one that won't cut off when it hit temp. Almost had steamed fish for dinner.:(

·
Registered
2,511 Posts

The recall applies to the none pro model as well.
I made the guilty decision to keep mine. You'll have to point a gun at me to make me let them go. They are the best heater I ever had.
I probably won't buy a new one though. The Rena none glass heater looks like a good alternative to me now. Even if it's more expensive.
Compare to all the other glass heater (including Jager), I've been electric shocked, blown up upon, cracked glass, cook my fish and stop working. With a personal statistic like that, I think I stood a better chance with the stealth than going back to a glass heater.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
7,627 Posts
The recall applies to the none pro model as well.
I made the guilty decision to keep mine. You'll have to point a gun at me to make me let them go. They are the best heater I ever had.
I probably won't buy a new one though. The Rena none glass heater looks like a good alternative to me now. Even if it's more expensive.
Compare to all the other glass heater (including Jager), I've been electric shocked, blown up upon, cracked glass, cook my fish and stop working. With a personal statistic like that, I think I stood a better chance with the stealth than going back to a glass heater.
Same here. I'm keeping mine - the other ones are just as bad.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I think they may be recalling the non pro just to be on the safe side. They have been hit with alot of lawsuites. Iam keeping mine too never have had a problem with the small ones .

·
Registered
3 Posts
UPG Aquatics & Big Als

I have to say the way I was treated with the recall was horrendous...

For the company to offer half what I paid and didnt even cover the shipping - I can safely say not only did they lose a customer for life (and I was in the market for a new aquarium too) but i would clearly steer everyone away from their products.

And Big Als - I asked them about the recall and they refused to take the product back even with a receipt.

Terrible customer service on both parts - lesson learned - don't buy any more UPG aquatics products(Tetra, Perfecto, Marineland) - and I most certainly wont shop at Big Als anymore either.

I dont want to spend $500 on a new tank only for it to have a problem and the manufacturer tell me that they will "offer" me their wholesale cost and have Big Als make a hot dog out of the rest of my money.

Tisk Tisk UPG and Big Als - you should be ashamed of stealing peoples money. and I hope you guys all get sued until you are left with no pants and a paid of suspenders.

Nick.

·
PEARLING
2,419 Posts
On Monday I walked into Big Als Oakville, and exchanged my heater, without a receipt. No problems, no questions asked. In and out in 3 minutes.

I even exchanged the heater for a Hydor Thermostat instead of a heater. I have heatcable substreat heater in my tank and it runs too hot without a thermostat, so i was happy to exchange the heater strait up for the thermostat (which was on clearance for $34, thats 50% off)

·
Registered
625 Posts
i too walked into big als hamilton and exchanged 2 stealths no hassles. Thats the problem with each store being independently owned some of the owners are just cheap a-holes who hire guys to be purely salesman and end up giving other stores a bad name.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I just called and told them i have a Pro 250, They took my info and are shipping me the upgraded model, Easy as Pie.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have to comment as well.. Their customer service when i called their 800 number was great (800-338-4896) (wait time is about 15 minutes in mid-day) .. They sent me 2 brand new visatherms without question even when i didn't have my receipt.... That's outstanding in my books. I asked about the current stealths I had 2 x 250's... They told me that they are recalling them regardless but most people who have them will never have any worries.. it's precautionary.....

cheers!!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I recently returned my stealth 100W to united pet group. They sent me a electronic receipt and all I had to do was take it to my local ups store and fill out some customs paper work and the replacement was at my door a week later! Make sure you fill out the customs sheet though, they have the at the ups store.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.