GTA Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guess i'll start a thread to document my build. my current tank is doing great and all but i miss the 5ft length of my second tank. the reason i changed that second 5ft tank was because it wasn't eurobraced and got messy easily, and it was high, getting on a stool and up to your armpit in water just to turn over a frag on the bottom got tired fast.

this will be my final tank that i'll be going all out on, exactly how i want it.

tank: 60"long x 24" wide x 18" high, eurobraced, being made by miricles, external bean animal overflow, drilled for return.

lighting: ATI 8 bulb with 2 reef brites.

getting started...(home depo trip actually fit in the car! lol)

didn't have home depo make the final cuts, i wanted to take my time and make things as accurate as possible.

making sure everything is nice and square

done.

one thing i never had on any of my tanks was a proper stand skin. i also didn't want to break the bank on a custom one so after a lot of planning i came up with this. i still need to trim and permanently hang the pannels but that should be done in the next few days.

figured i might as well hang the ATI 8 bulb too. i'm using my tank now to grow out the sps as much as possible so i can transfer everything over.

i'll update as i go :)

·
Banned
1,730 Posts
Fourth time is just the beginning Bud !
Great that you put yourself / your build out there ! Much respect !
Good for you and best wishes for continued success !
We're all rooting for you !

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
New tank

Following along Jay man ... can't wait to see more
Can't wait to see who scores your old tank.lol.greg would be proud.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Gregs tank

Yuppers .. it was always fun to sit back and see who got gregs tank and to see where they took his tank.since his tanks were always immaculate but run only a short time .Jay your tank looked fantastic...

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks fellas!

it's funny how much you learn from the fellow members here.

learned so much from greg and his old tank (my current tank)
learned alot from my second tank, alex's old tank.
the stand skin is actually ikea kitchen cabinet doors - idea from march
the skin is being held on and will be removable due to these:

^idea from dan at canada corals.

·
Aquascaping Apprentice
1,588 Posts
thanks fellas!

it's funny how much you learn from the fellow members here.

learned so much from greg and his old tank (my current tank)
learned alot from my second tank, alex's old tank.
the stand skin is actually ikea kitchen cabinet doors - idea from march
the skin is being held on and will be removable due to these:

^idea from dan at canada corals.
Genious. What a great idea

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^thats for sure! What good are forums if you don't learn off eachothers ideas?

I got the stand skin cut down to size, it's coming together better than I thought it would, just happy things Arnt gappy and pretty damn square.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^NICE! you have one of my favourite nano tanks so i can't wait to see what you do with the new one.

@ blueface, yes i had to cut the doors down because they only sell them by 10" sizes and mine was in the middle.

shoutout to March @ fragbox for hooking up 8 all new ATI bulbs and this new nifty toy:

i also grabbed an extra apex power bar for it.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Glad you have an apex! The skinning looks great btw. Maybe when I actually get around to my build you can give me some pointers.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
^you're always welcome, but even more invited if you're bringing doubles! haha i have the light for you too.

just finished hanging the skin doors with the mounting hardware...and locked my kid in there lol

not quite finished with it yet, i'll post up my progress soon. I started my own mobile car detailing company ontop of my regular work that's been keeping me very busy lately, so i'm working on this thing every spare moment i have, which isn't often.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^i know slight pepper doesn't mean slight pepper LOL

One thing that always made me blow a gasket was wire management. It sucked on both of my last tanks. I had a bunch of left over cuts from the stand skin so I decided to do something about it. You can see what I'm attempting to do:

1 - 20 of 106 Posts