GTA Aquarium Forums banner

81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Love the minimal look!
What do you use for filtration other than the LR you have in the tank?

I went thru the same "new tank syndrome" and almost lost most of the corals.
They are still in recovery mode after over three months.
I started to add MB7. This did help a lot.

·
Registered
538 Posts
See that's another reason I really like this hobby. Something happens to a members tank and people are there to lend a hand and offer frags. Some stand up people here!
You know it! I've had so many ups and downs. Not only is it frustrating but time consuming running around and finding frags and costly to go about it all over again.

Let me know when you're ready. I plan on making frags in a few weeks. Should be ready for december :)

-dan

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Love the minimal look!
What do you use for filtration other than the LR you have in the tank?

I went thru the same "new tank syndrome" and almost lost most of the corals.
They are still in recovery mode after over three months.
I started to add MB7. This did help a lot.
for filtration, the sump has two filter socks, then the bubble magnus curve 7, and a two little fishes 150 reactor filled with siproax. aside from that i have a big reactor with chaeto in it,and that's about it.

You know it! I've had so many ups and downs. Not only is it frustrating but time consuming running around and finding frags and costly to go about it all over again.

Let me know when you're ready. I plan on making frags in a few weeks. Should be ready for december :)

-dan
oh i hear ya! just waiting on parts for the light and getting the cal and alk up a bit to ideal sps parameters but it should be good in a few weeks. once i get all of that going then i'll pick up the first round of frags and let them grow out and see how they do. fish are still doing great and i saw snail eggs on the glass the other morning so that's a good sign.

let me know if you're still on the look out for a pepermint shrimp!

·
Registered
70 Posts
after chasing around plumbing parts for the last two weeks I finally had everything to get this thing plumbed. I think i'm high off of pvc glue lol

IMG_8357

IMG_8358

I think i'm going to start to fill it tomorrow.
a tip for future reference if you want, Everything else is so clean but the ocd in me sees the glue joints, you can use masking tape to tape just the edge of the joint, glue then remove tape. spotless joints everytime. Just love seeing clean tanks.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
^good tip! I'll remember that for next time.

Well, here's a big update for me, ATI sent me all new ballasts, junction box, reflectors, bulb connectors and fans which are on their way. I re-did all wire ends to ensure they were all nice and clean for the best contact too but I'm not finished, I picked up two blue reefbrite led strips that I have to make brackets for and I'm going to try to run the wires through the fixture and down the ATI wiring sleeve for a cleaner look. Needless to say things are getting back on track.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
^my reef brites are actually only 36" where the T5's are 48", so i have to make a bit of an extention on them but no big deal.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)
for bulbs i have all ati blue + and 1 coral +. the pic above i used just some old bulbs that i knew worked just to test the light, but turns out, even my old bulbs still work lol

now with the reefbrites, once some sps get bought and growing i'll play around with bulb color combos to see which ones give me the best color.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Let me start by saying that this light rebuild was a huge undertaking. Just when I thought that it was ready I turned it on to test it and a ever so slightly chafed exposed wire cause an arc and blew a new ballast. I found a replacement, re went through all of the wiring with a fine tooth comb, well here's a list of what I did,

-inspect and re do wiring
-All new ballasts
-All new bulb connectors
-All new reflectors
-New junction box
-All new fans
-New hanging kit
-acrylic brackets for the reefbrites
-Reefbrites x 2
-Polished out acrylic shield so it's nice and clear, polished end caps, polished housing

Sure, I could have gone out and bought a new unit, but if I were to buy a new unit I might aswell get the led fixture which would have been $1200+ easy. All said and done I'm at less than half of that including the reef brites and alot of swearing and elbow grease. Now I'm just going to heat cycle and run the light for 6 hours 5 times while I'm supervising it for piece of mind (with a fire extinguisher next to me just incase lol). If it doesn't catch on fire after the heat cycles I'll be hanging this beast.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
thanks guys,

got some time this long weekend to move forward. properly hung the light, drilled into the studs and the wire supported my weight so i know it's good to go lol. i also managed to move the tank myself to position it right under the light as it was a bit off from where the stud in the celing was. tucked away all the wires, and grabbed about 6 sps frags and a orange/purple torch.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #94 (Edited)
just thought i'd update this. things have been good, kinda. tank caught a case of velvet and within about 4 days, before I could even identify it and carry out a treatment, all of my fish except one small 6 line wrasse died. it spread so fast, woke up, two fish dead. head to work, come back after, another two dead.

on the plus side, while the tank stays fishless for 2 months (as soon as I can get that wrasse out) the corals have been doing great, so I can continue to stock. it's the hardships that make it worth while right? now i'm gong to re-stock after the two months with smaller sized fish but more of them. anyways, here's some pics, some zoas, a few nems, lps and some sps frags. I have a bit of an algee outbreak because I had to turn off the skimmer for two days when I treated with prazipro, and there's no tangs anymore to groom it back.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
i haven't updated this in a long time lol.

tank has been through ups and downs, some neglect, but is now back on track and just working on getting my water quality perfect, it's just almost there.

i got a new phone so just snapped some crappy pics, didn't clean the tank either.

also re-did my waterchange setup. now it's just turn valves and waterchange. so much easier i should have done this from the start

81 - 100 of 106 Posts