GTA Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I am new here, hoping someone will be able to help me figure out what is going on with my Glofish Tetra. I have posted on a few other forums as well but truly nobody knows what is going on with this fish
Having trouble swimming, staying near the surface swimming vertically/with nose pointing up. Bouncing around instead of using fins. Overall just swimming strange. Only fish with these symptoms.

What is the water volume of the tank? 60 G
What is the water volume of the tank? Full
How long has the tank been running? 3 years
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 76•
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
-5 GloFish Tetras
-4 Oto Catfish
-Cory Catfish

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Weekly
How much of the water do you change? 50%
What do you use to treat your water? Multiple conditioners/added benefits.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Vacuum substrate.

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0.0
Nitrite: 0.0
Nitrate: <5ppm
pH: 6.8

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Daily, skip one day a week
How much do you feed your fish? As much as they can consume in 3 minutes
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Fluval Bug Bites
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Occasionally

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 2 years
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Over 2 weeks ago

In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Swimming with nose up, staying near surface and acting strange, “bouncing”
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Recently fasting intervals, epsom salt baths and feeding peas.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Behaviour changed as mentioned. Still willing to eat.

Any info or advice is extremely appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Just wanted to add:

I do not believe it is swim bladder but I can’t be certain. The way the fish is swimming, upright/nose pointing up, sort of “bouncing” instead of using fins.
Some people on other forums suggested swim bladder, so I have been treating for it with no luck. Another person is leaning towards possible neurological issues ?

Any and all advice/thoughts/ideas/recommendations are so very greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much!! :) if I missed any important info please let me know as well!

I have posted videos over the past 2 weeks on my YouTube. Please find the links below:

1.) first video posted 2 weeks ago when first noticed symptoms
youtube.com

GloFish Tetra

youtube.com
youtube.com

2.) second video from July 7th (best one)
youtube.com

July 7th

youtube.com
youtube.com

3.) third video from July 9th with light on for better view
youtube.com

:)

youtube.com
youtube.com

No indication of parasites or any visible illness.
Thank you so much please help me help this little one :(

·
Hunh?
2,552 Posts
Behavior looks like an issue with the swim bladder and the inability to keep neutral bouancy aka just floating in mid water.

With the genetic modification of gene insertion to create these colors, you never know if there are issues of disruption of other gene sequences which only manifests itself as the fish ages.

Does this genetic modification reduce life expectancy vs natural/line bred equivalent? Some say there is no impact but personally doubtful that it would extend it.

Also the base stock fish used in the "GloFish program" are also from line bred genetic pools so with a diminishing genetic variation from different gene pools, certainly won't be as hardy.

Just read up on the decline of House of Habsburg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What have you been doing to treat for swim bladder disorder?
If you read the post….
I have tried epsom salt baths as recommended by many.
I have fasted for 3 days at a time, and fasting intervals
Tried feeding peas as recommended by many others as well.
No medications have been recommended.

I seriously do not think it’s swim bladder. There would be some improvement by now, or the fish would have died I’d assume. It’s been like 3 ish weeks now.

Do you have any advice or recommendations????

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you read the post….
I have tried epsom salt baths as recommended by many.
I have fasted for 3 days at a time, and fasting intervals
Tried feeding peas as recommended by many others as well.
No medications have been recommended.

I seriously do not think it’s swim bladder. There would be some improvement by now, or the fish would have died I’d assume. It’s been like 3 ish weeks now.

Do you have any advice or recommendations????
Ok my mistake, I did read your post in full, I just missed that part.
Swim bladder disorder could be caused by an internal parasite, which epsom salt could help with but you could also try treating with a medication containing Metronidazole, like MetroPlex.
Apparently swim bladder disorder isn't always fatal so just because your fish isn't dying doesn't necessarily mean that your fish does not have a swim bladder disorder.
If you really don't think it's swim bladder disorder, it might be a spinal injury. Apparently fish swimming vertically with the tail down is a sign of spinal injury, which could be caused by internal flagellates or bacterial infection. Apparently this can heal on its own or you can also treat with Metronidazole + Erythromycin or Enrofloxacin.
If it were my fish, I'd do some research into treating with Metronidazole + Erythromycin or Enrofloxacin because this would cover off swim bladder disorder caused by internal parasite AND spinal injury caused by infection.
I got this information from:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is actually where I was headed. Funny you brought it up! Thank you so much for all your help and confirming my thoughts of trying medication is a good idea. Thanks so very much, I hope this helps

·
Registered
18 Posts
That is actually where I was headed. Funny you brought it up! Thank you so much for all your help and confirming my thoughts of trying medication is a good idea. Thanks so very much, I hope this helps
Let us know what ends up happening! I'd really like to know if it works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts