Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Look what you've done to the Netlea, Igor!! LOL :D
apparently it's called green beard algae...

I'll have to take a look in person when I head over this week
very interesting~~~
So, you don't like that?

I guess you right? it's green beard algae. Fortunately, it very different from black beard/brush algae. This green stuff of very soft. I'm sure shrimps will love it :)

I'm planning to add some 'design' using your piece of driftwood.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have that in my shrimp tank too. It grew on driftwood and the shrimp love it. I thought it looked cool and matches the moss ball quite nicely. Not all algae is bad...

·
Aquascape for life
1,404 Posts
So, you don't like that?

I guess you right? it's green beard algae. Fortunately, it very different from black beard/brush algae. This green stuff of very soft. I'm sure shrimps will love it :)

I'm planning to add some 'design' using your piece of driftwood.
nah, I was joking. :p It's great for shrimp. Also, it's difficult to culture, that is why not many of us has seen it before.
you do know this type of algae is extremely hard to eradicate.
Therefore whatever plant you place into the tank will become covered "forever".

Glad you can make good use of the driftwood. Surprise me when I drop by :cool:

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I've had that happen to a tank that only received sunlight as a light source. The biggest problem, IMO, is the need to constantly algae-scrape the viewing glass.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My driftwood came from a high light tank with CO2 where it grew the algae. It's now been in my Ebi with the standard light and no CO2 for a couple of months. The algae may have darkened a bit but still looks "good" and I don't have it anywhere else in the tank.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Wow! Green cotton candy for your shrimps! :) Its beautiful....You are brilliant!

I have been battling algae for months. Never thought of growing them.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
o wow, that looks really cool, how do you manage to get it to grow and not have other algae take over
This is low pH tank. I noticed that nice green algae grows in in a low pH.
Black/grey algae appear in a high pH tank.

I use macro fertilization at the beginning, seed algea from other tank and keep light working all the time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts