GTA Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tired of having that rotten egg smell and having stains all over your sink and toilet?

Whole house filters for iron, hydrogen Sulfide (rotten egg smell) and manganese reduction Iron is one of the most common elements found in nature, and most ground waters contain a measurable amount of iron. Iron stains bathtubs, toilets, sinks, driveways and it will even stain the side of your house in sufficient concentrations.

We have a few units that all have different flow rates. Average Home / Cottage flow would work with our smallest unit! 9 GPM 1 cu.ft

If you require the unit to be installed have one of our licensed plumbers install the equipment.

G

·
What is the going rate for a whole home/cottage tannin filter. We are doing some plumbing changes at the cottage next year and making some prelim planning/pricing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A unit that would look after that would be a dual media unit they run for about $970

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Estimate on capacity or litres filtered until replacement?
roughly 30,000 gallons on the smallest unit. That also depends on how bad your water is also so that # will give you a close idea plus or minus based on water quality.

G

·
You use well water at your place?
no.. we uv and micron filter water from our lake. It's quite tea-stained in the spring and early summer. Makes yellow centred ice-cubes :(

I'm glad our water's not stinky that it would need a sulphide filter.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no.. we uv and micron filter water from our lake. It's quite tea-stained in the spring and early summer. Makes yellow centred ice-cubes :(

I'm glad our water's not stinky that it would need a sulphide filter.
can you give me an idea of what filters your using now for the lake water.. maybe i can suggest something better .

G

·
roughly 30,000 gallons on the smallest unit. That also depends on how bad your water is also so that # will give you a close idea plus or minus based on water quality.
thanks for the responses. I will run my flow meter this weekend and estimate our usage for an average season. I don't think we use 30,000 but you never know.

G

·
can you give me an idea of what filters your using now for the lake water.. maybe i can suggest something better .
I'm using a Trojan UV that I've rigged up with 5 pre-filters (I'm a bit crazy)

30 micron, 5 micron, 1 micron, 1 micron carbon block and .5 micron carbon for the drinking water part. They are all the larger sized prefilters (not the 10")
The pressure from the pump/cylinder is 60psi. The toilet is bypassed and the pump also has a 300 micron screen for debris at the foot-valve. We change the prefilters twice per season even though the .5 micron carbon is probably not that clogged. I tested the water last week for conductivity and got 23 μS. Our problem is the tannins that even our lab grade carbons remove only slightly. It's not a problem but it's just a psychological thing when you know the water has the crap filtered out of it but still looks a bit yellow. I was recommended looking at a tannin filter as an add-on if I wanted crystal clear water.

The whole thing looks neat and tidy and is easy to tear down for the winter. Perhaps we will winterize our water soon ** sigh**

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
I think I mentioned to you, but we just basically the same sort of system at my cottage too - minus two pre-filters =D

The in-laws just got one of those units Tyler is selling to remove the Iron from the water (Balsalm Lake area) - works great. Not sure if it would be worth it just to remove tannins though =D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts