GTA Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wheres the Toronto group? Do we not have one yet?!

·
9,103 Posts
Hmmmm I am unsure of that one. I know someone will know.

There are somevery large clubs not very far out of TO

·
9,103 Posts
Wonder if we could start one one day... <3

I really hope to join MAST soon...

·
Registered
953 Posts
Not to knock anyone on the MAST committee, but for the number of hobbyists in the GTA, membership and meetings should be much larger than 20 people. There is a lot of work to do when heading up an organization like this.

If we ever want to host MACNA we have a lot of work to do.....

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, want needs to be done? i guess wed need a meeting place, and a website, and someone to make cards for the club members. would we need to be registered with something? i bet a lot of members of this forum would join! wed also have big metting turnouts due to the fact that T.O. is so big.

·
Registered
953 Posts
It's not exactly that easy, yes maybe to get going but what keeps people coming back....

Meeting Location
Special Guests
DIY Workshops
Topics of Discussion
Sponsorship
Monthly Newsletter
Website
Establish a Constitution
Elect the Executives
Financial Statements
Membership Fees

These are just a few things that come to mind.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so...toronto doesnt have a club because were a bunch of lazy asses?

or do we all work too much to even think about turning our beloved hobby into somewhat of a...a job?

i think it could be beneficial to toronto. the city is always looking for more tourism hot spots and things for visitors and inhabitants to do. (spend money) im sure, if we had smart enough ppl working on this, we could get a grant from the government of some sort. if we started something on endangered fish, or building a large aquarium, or inspiring more buying and selling in and around T.O.

maybe im alone in the thought, but it would be lots of fun! headaches of course are a given, but fun would be included too. ;) not to get all "well make toronto better" or anything, but I think we could add something to Toronto, that may actually effect the city in a positive way.

theres got to be some big wig out there whos into aquariums, maybe he/shed help us out...???

·
9,103 Posts
I always like to hold smallish meet and greets.. they always went well :) I am usually shy at first which is why I have issues with getting more done. I hope to be able to do it a few times again this year

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow. thanks for the link h_s! nice to know ppl are doing it in T.O.

i would love to go to a get together ciddian! sounds like a lot of fun!

ps-gta aquaria should give out cards to members so we can all get discounts at Big Als! LoL

·
9,103 Posts
Would that work ya think? I could whip up something for sure for the site..

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well...i dunno! im new! LoL if youve done it before, im sure you could do it again! i was hoping to do get into stuff like what kwas does. they do fish trades, buys, plant trades and buys. im not sure how exactly, but id love to go to something and bring a couple of fish for sale, and see what everyone else brings! could go bust, but I think it would be awesome to show off what we have! (in person) not only that, but socializing is good for everyone. especially for stay-at-home moms and dads. (me...um...being the mom one) :) seminars would be great too. maybe you could post a thread and see what ppl are doing...for example, i want to start really getting into planted tanks. but theres SO much id need to know b4 i did it! maybe someone who knows about keeping planted tanks would like to do a little meeting with ppl like me. (so we dont blow all our money on great plants then have them die.)

i dunno, just some thoughts. i didnt know about the links h_s found. ill definately check those out too!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
well...i dunno! im new! LoL if youve done it before, im sure you could do it again! i was hoping to do get into stuff like what kwas does. they do fish trades, buys, plant trades and buys. im not sure how exactly, but id love to go to something and bring a couple of fish for sale, and see what everyone else brings! could go bust, but I think it would be awesome to show off what we have! (in person) not only that, but socializing is good for everyone. especially for stay-at-home moms and dads. (me...um...being the mom one) :) seminars would be great too. maybe you could post a thread and see what ppl are doing...for example, i want to start really getting into planted tanks. but theres SO much id need to know b4 i did it! maybe someone who knows about keeping planted tanks would like to do a little meeting with ppl like me. (so we dont blow all our money on great plants then have them die.)

i dunno, just some thoughts. i didnt know about the links h_s found. ill definately check those out too!
Each club has Spring and Fall auctions which are open to the public to both buy and register to sell in. :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
definately joining TWAS! thanks Katalyst!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I tried to get a club going for York region with a few other folks but it was really difficult to coordinate. Part of that was a lack of effort on the part of my associates but in their defense it is hard work. I'm still planning on getting it going but I have yet to find the dedicated folks to help me start it. I heard the the Toronto Willowdale club had low attendance and low activity so never bothered joining.

·
Eats plants too
1,313 Posts
I'd be more involved if meetings were held along the subway lines somewhere. If it takes more than an hour and a half to get somewhere by TTC from downtown, forget it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
It's not exactly that easy, yes maybe to get going but what keeps people coming back....

Meeting Location
Special Guests
DIY Workshops
Topics of Discussion
Sponsorship
Monthly Newsletter
Website
Establish a Constitution
Elect the Executives
Financial Statements
Membership Fees

These are just a few things that come to mind.
I'd want to add to this that if you collect membership fees, some of these things become legally required such as the financial statements and elected executive. You also need insurance, which I doubt many groups have. You would have to establish the group as a community organization (non-political) with the province.

I have no idea how the other local groups do this, I just know these are issues I faced when I was on the executive for a community group representing Bloor Street East.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts