GTA Aquarium Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
9,103 Posts
ha see thats my problem... I have never wanted to do anything that involved money. I totally understand thats how things get paid for but I was never comfortable asking people for cash.

Even when I sell things LOL

I hope to one day get more active in the clubs and meetings once i get over my shyness X) Usually if i have one friend there with me I am good :)

Newbie! You gotta come out to one of the auctions... O_O

·
Banned
36 Posts
willowdale is close to the subway

just north of yonge and sheppard

Very good group, looking for more TO and GTA members!

Go to a meeting and have a look for yourself

If you can drive or hitch a ride, Durham and Peel are within 30 minutes of Toronto

If I may suggest an activity, arrange fishroom visits with members!

2 or 3 in a day, good for 3-5 people per location at a time.

Vistors bring coffee or Tea

You always learn something new at each location, rides can be shared.

Just a thought

·
Registered
953 Posts

Just a thought
Most clubs do a Tank Tour or even hold their meetings at different houses each month.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
willowdale is close to the subway

just north of yonge and sheppard

Very good group, looking for more TO and GTA members!

Go to a meeting and have a look for yourself

If you can drive or hitch a ride, Durham and Peel are within 30 minutes of Toronto

Just a thought
Thanks for adding Peel Udo, brainfreeze on my part.
http://www.peelaquariumclub.org

·
Registered
305 Posts
TWAS is meeting this Wednesday. The meeting place is easy to get to. Sadly, I'm out of town and I'll miss this month's meeting.

As a sort of a general comments about clubs.. you only get out of it what you put into it. Get involved, have some fun!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Good comment PPulcher. Everyone wants the benefits of membership, but few are willing to put out the effort. This is true in all sorts of volunteeer organizations. When I first joined DRAS there were only 35 or 40 members, and the club was run and held together by a core group of dedicated hobbyists. The society has grown to over 100 memebers, and a new bunch of people have taken over running the club. The core is still there and contributing, but all their hard work has paid off; the club has grown and prospered, and with the influx of new dedicated (and younger) members, the future of the club is bright. Being on the executive is twice as good as just being a member because you get 2 meetings a month.
For the record, CAOAC member clubs carry insurance available through CAOAC, which is one of the reasons for a club being a member of CAOAC. Money will always rear it's ugly head as a club can't run without money. There is the cost of meeting places, speakers, judges, show space rental, show awards, books for the club library. While I don't recall exact costs, it is quite expensive to put on a show and auction. However, a club with money is better able to get quality speakers from afar, as they can pay the travelling expenses of the speaker. If you look at the DRAS banquets of the last few years, the club was able to get Lee Newman from BC, Dr. Paul Loiselle from New York (banquet and meeting), and this year Jeff Cardwell from Indiana. We also had Dr. Anton Laboj for a meeting.
Bottom line is that the more you put into it, the more you will get out of it.

·
Aquascaping Apprentice
1,588 Posts
IF you guy's are really intrested I suggest you contact CAOAC. Most of the local clubs are registered with them. They can help you setup a club and show you what you need to do and how to do it.

The most important asset to any club are the devoted people to start up and run the club.

We do have a bit of an advantage though... This forum.

It has a decent amount of traffic, and word of a new club will travel fast.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
As was mentioned above contact CAOAC they have all the info on starting a club, thru your dues to CAOAC you will be covered by insurance. They will give you all the help you need as to meetings, auctions ( they have auctioneers), annual shows, interesting speakers for your monthly meetings. By the way the CAOAC annual Convention is in Brantford this year on May
24th weekend go to CAOAC site for more details or Branford Aquaria Society.

Hope to see some of you there, Thanks Bob. :)

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
We do have a bit of an advantage though... This forum.

It has a decent amount of traffic, and word of a new club will travel fast.
Word may travel fast, but attendance will be sporadic or non existent. Even when someone has done the work, people still don't bother to go. Based on what I have seen here, if this forum were 10 times as busy, there still wouldn't be enough people to support a club. This is not that busy of a forum especially considering the geographical size of the area.

·
9,103 Posts
Well thats one of the reasons why I've held meet and greets from time to time :) Something small to bring the members of this forum together every once and a while.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What is the group link on FB?
it's the GTA Aquarium Club, and will be a social club. Some of us were members of the Willowdale aquarium society, and the Toronto Aquarium society, but this is totally new management, and new ideas. It will be a social club, and we will NOT get bogged down on process. we are on FB under that name, and to all the fish geeks, fanciers and aquarists, welcome!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts