GTA Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It came on the rock that I bought my mushrooms on. Seems to be growing and nothing is eating it. Kill it or leave it?

Attachments

·
Registered
538 Posts
Bryopsis. Do yourself a favour and throw it all out. Those mushrooms are quite common and some feel as though they are pest as they are hard to contain and multiply like crazy. They will pop up everywhere in the tank and take over prime real-estate.

Just saying...

-dan

·
Not a mod!
7,167 Posts
an easier way to take care of this is to throw the whole rock in the sump and turn off the lights for 4 days. The mushrooms will survive and the hair algae will die. Cheato will live thru a 4 day lights out as well so no worries about that.

Or you could trim off the shrooms and hope for the best but this isn't a great alternative. Although I'm not for just tossing out coral...

·
Registered
538 Posts
Bryopsis is not just a regular hair algae. It's an infestation. You'll spend alot more then the $20 bucks you spent on the mushroom rock trying to get rid of your bryopsis. Not to mention the time and headaches. Bryopsis with smother your corals as well. Is takes no prisoners. You can take your chances and throw it in the sump, but bryopsis will release spores especially when it's stressed ie, no light source.

Do what you want, but don't make me say "I told you so".

I've been reefing for 8+ years and I've seen and dealt with it personally. If you enjoy pulling handfuls of this stuff out of your tank on a daily bases. By all means, be my guess. This stuff is nasty. The only thing I've dealt with that is worse are "dinoflagellates" Google it!

If you have no experience with this stuff, you need not comment on it. Giving bad advice helps nobody.

Again, just saying.

-dan

·
Not a mod!
7,167 Posts
Hi Dan!
I've had cyano, dino, and bryopsis all at once and had to deal with my daughter being in Sick Kids hospital with a rare blood disorder all at the same time. How did I deal with all 3? I did a 4 day blackout and dosed Chemi Clean. Although it did take two tries at this and about 2 weeks I did win.

Do I have enough experience Dan?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Yes you do, but my experience is enough for me to let the OP know to get rid of the rock!

So your saying you would still take a chance with the algae in question and have to go through all that again???

You must be crazy!:eek::eek::eek:

Are you sure you had dinos? I yet to see people properly id them. Usually cyano mistaken for dinos. Two completely different bacterias.

-dan

·
Not a mod!
7,167 Posts
Lets stay on track please. Don't sidetrack the OP's question by wondering if I have experience.

Lets just say we all have different ideas on how to take care of it. In the end we're both right since both of our methods will get rid of the algae...right?

Really what's worse to have in your tank, hair algae or a kenya tree. I've had one piece of Kenya tree in my tank that someone left (without me knowing) and to this day I still have sprouts growing in atleast 8 different areas!!!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh dear baby jesus this is the worst news. I just paid $40 for the mushrooms so dont really want to toss them. I also have way too many kenya trees. I will pluck these algae bastards as much as I can but i can just toss the whole rock. Is there anything that eats it?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Bryopsis is not just a regular hair algae. It's an infestation. You'll spend alot more then the $20 bucks you spent on the mushroom rock trying to get rid of your bryopsis. Not to mention the time and headaches. Bryopsis with smother your corals as well. Is takes no prisoners. You can take your chances and throw it in the sump, but bryopsis will release spores especially when it's stressed ie, no light source.

-dan
I agree with this 100%. It sure looks like Bryopsis from the pic and this is evil stuff. It was the cause for me to close down my tank years ago. I tried black outs for a week at a time, scrubbing the rocks, water changes like crazy! The tank would look better for a few days and the stuff would continue to pop up everywhere from seams in the corners of the tank to just about anything. This went on for 6 months before I gave up.

Maybe this Chemi Clean stuff is a new option but if I ever saw this stuff in my tank again every pc of rock or coral with it would be removed immediately and never enter the system again. A $4o dollar coral vs the rest of the tank just think about it. I have heard of others beating this and that is encouraging but why go through it if can avoid it.

·
Not a mod!
7,167 Posts
Emerald crabs and sea hares eat this stuff and I know there is one sea hare out there right now being passed around from tank to tank once its done eating the algae. It isn't a guarantee but the sea hare does an amazing job.

Good luck!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Ok so assuming what's popping up isn't the standard hair algae...tell me more about dosing with chemi-clean please? Step by step?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Chemi clean is for cyano not for bryopsis. It also works with Dino a bit but not fully
Ok...so I'm in trouble. This stuff has already wiped out my star polyp colony...it's spreading through my tank. I've already started the water changes and they're helping but what else can I do?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Raising Mag. Level to 1800 with tech M has worked for some, it didn't seam to work for me when I tried it for a few months. If Nitrates are high it will be even more difficult to beat this. I wanted to try a sea hair before but could not find one at the time.

Wish you guys the best on this.

·
Offishul GTAA Lolcat
2,530 Posts
Yup, looks like bryopsis. Good luck with getting rid of this...Nitrates and phosphate will have to be kept at 0 to get it under control.

Really what's worse to have in your tank, hair algae or a kenya tree. I've had one piece of Kenya tree in my tank that someone left (without me knowing) and to this day I still have sprouts growing in atleast 8 different areas!!!!
Are those the pieces that I brought to the frag swap that you got stuck with? My apologies if so, but you could have tossed them... :p

·
Registered
238 Posts
+1 for keeping phosphate low as well, but this stuff absorbs phosphate and tricks you to think it's low.

I ran rowa phos as well but thinking back maybe not enough and I didn't change it often enough. Just some thoughts for you.

·
Registered
785 Posts
+1 for keeping phosphate low as well, but this stuff absorbs phosphate and tricks you to think it's low.

I ran rowa phos as well but thinking back maybe not enough and I didn't change it often enough. Just some thoughts for you.
Thanks for the info, I'll look for a phosphate remover tomorrow. Good luck OP, seeing how it took out a large green star polyp colony I'd suggest you toss the rock or put it into a QT for the time being. The stuff overtakes a tank like crazy. :(

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
just get a few turbo snails and it will be gone in no time, as well as being mowed down should it pop up again.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts