GTA Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
been fighting this for about a 2 months now and i'm in need of help on how to eliminate this problem. I been having this string like web growing from my rocks and seeing slime on my nylon socks filter. I've been doing 20% changes almost every 10 days, adding macrobaria 7 and i can't seem to kill this algae.
i also use RODI water only. (RODI - filter has been replaced in the last month).

my tank is about 8 months old
- po4 is at 0.25mg/L
-No3 - is not detected
-amonia - 0

salinity - checked and its all good there.

what am i missing?
Please help -

Attachments

·
Hunh?
2,532 Posts
Stop dosing MicroBacter for now.

Tough to say but the clogging of filter socks with "slime" is definitely bacterial.

Algae is normal. Control where it doesn't become a problem is key. Whether CUC, more coral to shade the LR, herbervorious fish that graze on LR...all are key in controlling algae.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stop dosing MicroBacter for now.

Tough to say but the clogging of filter socks with "slime" is definitely bacterial.

Algae is normal. Control where it doesn't become a problem is key. Whether CUC, more coral to shade the LR, herbervorious fish that graze on LR...all are key in controlling algae.
this is my second tank and i started with dry rock this time, i'm just hoping that the dry rock is not the cause of this imbalance. I'll be patient i guess but if this doesn't go away and start to clog my pipes then i'll try to use no-pox. I'll give it another two-three weeks.. hopefully i get some improvements. also, going to stop doing water changes to get some nitrate reading.

·
Hunh?
2,532 Posts
Biofilms wont clog flow in pipes but will in narrow tubing with low flow rates and woven material.

If you havent started stocking with coral, keep in mind, not only is it still a relatively new system, algae will grow on any surface that light directly hits. So adding corals to shade the rock below will help keep algae from taking a foothold.

Until then, keep the photoperiod short...4-6hrs excluding dusk/dawn timings.

HTH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts