GTA Aquarium Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Looks stunning! Can't wait to see how it matures!
Thanks!

...question i use to have a banded and a serpent starfish in my display they get big legs no punt as they grow...i didnt like the look of them so moved them to my basement sump..r u planning on keeping yours in the display...
Yes. I'm keeping all of them in the display. There are 4 total. 1 sm, 1 lg and 1 xl serpent stars and 1 med banded star. They're really good scavengers that will eat excess food and I believe detritus, but don't quote me on that.

I agree they look a bit like a monster coming out of the deep. But I kinda dig it lol.

You can see it in the pictures, but the rock at the bottom right of the tank has a pretty big hole in it that goes all the way through. One of the stars has made it his home, so he kinda raises out of the depths when food hits the water lol.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Here's something strange that I've never experienced before.

I was working on the tank and I can hear clicks, so I'm sure I have a mantis in the display somewhere although I haven't been able to locate it yet.

Anyways ...right by my ear I hear a decently loud clicking sound. WTF is that now. Start looking all over the end of the tank, in the water for whatever the hell that it. I noticed a bit of salt creep on the return bulkheads. I grab a towel just to keep things clean...upon closer inspection, the bloody bulkheads are cracking.

Obviously I don't have spares on hand. So I grabbed electrical tape and pulled them as tight as possible. Phoned a bunch of stores, apparently no one carries 3/4 in bulkheads.

Colin at Reef Boutique rescued me. I drove down to his place with the family.

Sort of a perfect storm at this point. Tank has fully cycled...well if you can call that mini thing a cycle. Plus I still have the 100g running. I need bulkheads, Colin has 40-50% off livestock as he is pivoting his store away from retail towards building and maintenance.

Total aside...I really believe that you need the support of your spouse or significant other for this hobby. It takes so much time and money. Mike Paletta just wrote an article that touches on this too. https://reefbuilders.com/2017/09/02/getting-burned-out-on-the-hobby-and-how-to-avoid-it/

Back to the story...Pile the family in the car (My wife, 2 year old and I) and head down to Reef Boutique. Start looking at the tanks, he still had some nice stuff. My wife starts asking about fish and corals. I was thinking we'd buy a fish or two, maybe a coral. So I say something like you can buy anything you want and Landon (our 2 year old) can pick something he likes too. I'm not sure if this was a total ninja move or a total backfire. Our bill was $400+ :eek:.

We ended up buying: a Yellow Tang, Flame Hawkfish, Foxface, Blue Tang. Then my wife comes to a PBT. I really like that one ....crap. It was a large PBT too. I explained that the tank could become a war zone with this guy a demon from hell. Luckily Colin said it wasn't a great idea, plus he said this PBT was removed from a clients tank. Pass.

We also bought 6 or 7 colonies, all LPS. Torches, Frogspawn, Long Tentacled plate, an Elegance etc. Pictures coming soon.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Holy smokes that 3/4" bulkhead cost you $400 bucks now u see why nobody carries them 🤣...Just kidding but I agree having the support of your significant other is very important in this hobby... Good selection of fish and corals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Reefing is my meth
1,862 Posts
Very exciting build. Hope the bulk head was at least a kinda easy fix. Bonus picking up all those other goodies too.

And what I get from this is not to use 3/4". ;)

Tagging along. I have an identical build coming my way in the near future.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts